Controller on Mac?

myxal

Cheers, I decided to pick up MotN after nostalgia-replaying the old Oddworld games and feeling my platformer-stealth itch insufficiently scratched.

Can anyone recommend/report a working combo of:

• controller brand/standard/mode (Xinput, D-Input, Switch Pro, Dualshock?)
  • controller connection (USB/bluetooth)
  • steam input enabled/disabled for MotN?
  • steamoverlay enabled/disabled for MotN?
  • version of MotN (orig./remaster)

I currently only have the old version MotN, so I'm having to play that on Mojave. Reports of success with the remastered would be particularly welcome.

I have 8BitDo's Pro 2 which in theory, should be able to emulate all the modes/connections mentioned, but from my testing, only bluetooth xinput sort-of works (the BT connection drops and MotN is unable to pick it back up without a relaunch). The other modes/connections don't work at all (with SteamInput disabled), or are horribly broken (B/Y keys firing a D-pad key in addition to their own key, etc.)

Well, after messing around with the old MotN for a week, here are my observations:

• no USB-connected controller works well MotN
  • Pro 2 over Bluetooth works well in S, A, and X modes, with steam input+overlay enabled. When it doesn't work (duplicated/mis-mapped input, dropped connections), it seems to be an issue outside of the game's code (BT HCI driver, HID driver/stack, steam input..) and the issue seems to go away after cycling steam input off and on again, or just relaunching Steam.

Archived