Solution for the Ice Crystaleyezer Concerns

Hello Forums,

Wanted to make a very unconventional proposal to fix the Ice Crystaleyezer. If you look through pages 1-3 of the Beta Section, there are quite a few posts regarding the Ice Crystaleyezer... seems there are a lot of questions, concerns, and suggestions surrounding this item. Simply put, it seems people are little confused by this item and my suggestion is to offer something else... something that will be useful, desirable, and fun for the late-game player(s).

Right now I am not sure that an item that makes it cold, stops wildfires, kinda slows down spoilage, and makes Glaciers is the right item for a late-game reward. All of these perks are already solved by the player during the early to mid-game. So why would players want/use this by the time they get to it?

- Players solve temperature regulation needs after the first year, so making it cold (or REALLY cold if you get too close) isn't very needed/useful by the late-game.
- Most players will have wildfires figured out through the use of the Oasis, Caves, or Flingos by their 2nd Summer. Anyone wanting to exchange Flingos for Crystaleyezers will have to deal with the Freeze Zone on them as well as Glaciers forming... and personally I'd rather deal with refueling a Flingo with all the Rot you find everywhere in the late-game than freezing and Glaciers.
- Food spoilage is solved fairly early with Ice Boxes, Salt Boxes, and Bundle Wraps... plus the Bearger Bin is about to become a new fixture in my Kitchen for dishes... so I doubt anyone is going to use these to slow spoilage.
- And making Glaciers is a nice addition... but a late-game Ice Maker just isn't super desirable. I've usually got an Ice Box filled with Ice after my second Winter. And Glaciers in the Caves/Ruins... that seems odd to me... or like it's an "unfitting compromise" to use down there.
- One last thing to consider is stopping Wilting, but since some people are moving their Grass, Twigs, and Berry Bushes underground because of Brightshades... this feature isn't super optimal.

Overall, for a late-game item, it won't be very useful or needed except for decoration purposes... so what would players want/use instead?

Well... the Deerclops Eyeball is used for two really good items: the Eyebrella and the Houndius Shootius, so it would be great to get something that is equal in value to these items. Spino43 recently posted about wanting the Houndius Shootius buffed and that post got some good feedback. So how about an upgraded version of the Houndius Shootius, something like...

The Brightius Shootius (another wonderful Bright-cite Technology item that combines Brightshade Magic with Thulecite Science!)
- Can be crafted at the Bright Smithy with: 1 Houndius Shootius + 4 Pure Brilliance + 4 Moon Rocks.
- Shoots bounce-able shots like the Brightshade Staff that deal Planar Damage. Shots can hit up to 3 targets (or maybe 5), fired at a rate of 1 every 3 seconds (like a normal HS does).

THIS would be a really nice item for the late-game. It would work very well against Hounds, the Bee Queen, and FuelWeaver, all of which are nice to kill quickly in the late-game... this thing will mop them up in a hurry. AND... for anyone using bait-garden-areas to trap Brightshades in, they typically use Houndius Shootius's on a boat to clean them up, this would do the job a little faster. Now that HS are deconstructable, players could decon staff what they currently have on those boats and replace/upgrade them with these. I could also see this doing a better/faster job on Bunnymen, Pigmen, or Spider farms. YES... it will replace Catapults in SOME cases... and Catapults are a great item for the early to mid-game... so wouldn't it be nice to get an upgrade for those come the late-game... Catapults don't self-heal... these do... and they don't require gems/fuel.

I have included some concept art of what a Brightius Shootius might look like, including a possible Voidius Shootius. I'm quite certain a Klei artist could do a much better job designing it and the programming required to make such an item perfectly functional will be minimal. Yes, a lot of time, effort, and cost went into designing and implementing the Ice Crystaleyezer... we might ask if that time, effort, and cost were well spent if we consider the ENJOY - AVOID - COMPLAIN Player Interaction Path I laid out in a previous post. Since it seems a few players are already hitting the Complain Phase with the Ice Crystaleyezer and it's only the Beta... and I am quite confident that number will be lowered, if not eliminated, with a Brightius Shootius being the added. Bottomline, I am very confident more players will use and enjoy a new Houndius Shootius versus the Ice Crystaleyezer that they are currently complaining about. That may sound a little harsh, but I assure you I am only trying to help improve the game, the player experience/enjoyment, and the developers' overall sanity.

And that's my pitch for a solution to the confusion and concerns surrounding the Ice Crystaleyezer... just replace it with something simpler. I'm sure it won't change anything... but it couldn't hurt to try.

Thank you all for your time and consideration, thoughts and feedback are always appreciated.

Sincerely,
MrWorm

Brightius Shootius.jpg

Voidius Shootius 1.jpg

Voidius Shootius 2.jpg

I actually like the idea of the Ice Crystaleyezer for wildfire protection, but the bug with oasis sandstorm wildfire protection makes it less useful than it otherwise would be. I'd like to be able to use it to safely walk to a cave entrance during summer days, but as soon as you walk out of the sandstorm, your oasis base can catch fire.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I didn't actually like the change to for it to spawn glaciers. Just visual clutter.

5 hours ago, july401 said:

I like your ideas MrWorm. 

But I'm afraid its' too late then. 

Maybe that's the reason why I recommend Klei discuss new ideas in forum before coding that. 

But thanks for your efforts, I do hope your ideas accepted. 

Thanks July... and I know it's way too late to make a suggestion like this... and I definitely was in a bit of a "mood" when I wrote it... so I don't think that helped.

But I had the idea for the Brightius Shootius in my head for a little while now... saw the post about buffing up the Houndius... and then seeing that the "chode scarfing levels" on the Crystaleyezer were a smidge higher than expected... I thought why not throw a hail-mary down field on the forums and see what happens.

*MrWorm snaps the metaphorical-Brightius-Shootius-idea-football, steps back, looks down field to the Klei Developer receivers... THROWS A BULLET... the ball sails way over the intended receiver and into the stands... hitting July in the face... the crowd winces in pain*

*MrWorm sighs dissappointedly* Thought that was going to be a game-saving touchdown...

Maybe a modder will be interested in doing it... can't be that much work to make it a reality... I'd be more than happy to give the art work another try with some more polish and proper detailing.

@Popian that is totally doable, we could have both... it's just I can't think of another boss that it would make sense to pair the Brightius Shootius from... Howlitzer = Possessed Hound, Bearger Bin = Polar Bearger, Ice Crystaleyezer = Crystal Deerclops... Brightius Shootius = ??

Thinking about it is really making my OCD flair up...

10 minutes ago, MrMNWorm said:

@Popian that is totally doable, we could have both... it's just I can't think of another boss that it would make sense to pair the Brightius Shootius from... Howlitzer = Possessed Hound, Bearger Bin = Polar Bearger, Ice Crystaleyezer = Crystal Deerclops... Brightius Shootius = ??

Thinking about it is really making my OCD flair up...

Maybe a bright shade possessed tree guard?

56 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Maybe a bright shade possessed tree guard?

Gamehun... a Tree Guard possessed by a Brightshade would be like... a DST Demogorgon... body of a Tree Guard with the head of Brightshade... dude, I'd fight one of those for a Brightius Shootius.

how about a planar shadow ancient guardian for a shadow guardian horn for a planar shadow houndius shootius? infuse it with some pure horror as well for some extra shadow alliegance

Spoiler

On 10/16/2023 at 7:45 AM, MrMNWorm said:

another wonderful Bright-cite Technology item that combines Brightshade Magic with Thulecite Science!

that's cool, however, wanda's quotes for moon shards/pure brilliance specifically mention how it doesn't work with any shadow magic:

“It would make a perfect watch crystal, if only it played nice with shadow magic.”

“If only I could use it to power one of my watches... Oh well."

wicker's quotes for the houndius shootius specifically outline how it's made from thulecite magic:

"The magic of the two beasts has been concentrated by the Thulecite."

wicker's quotes for thulecite point out how it's comprised of nightmare fuel (shadow magic):

This seems to be an interesting, ectoplasmic-residue bearing variety of zoisite.

Copy that @lenship2 guess I should pay a little more attention to the quotes... seems Brightcite Tech isn't feasible due to Thuelcite and Pure Brilliance not being incompatible.

But it could be feasible to take a Deerclops Eyeball + AG Horn + Pure Brilliance to a Bright Smithy to make a Brightius Shootius
Or an Eyeball + AG Horn + Dreadstone or PureHorror to a Shadowcraft Plinth to make a Voidius Shootius, right...?

And then Pure Brilliance + Husks or Scrap + MoonGlass could be a thing (which we haven't yet seen)... and it would just need to be called something like MoonShade... or BrightLight/BrightMight Technology.

I was digging the Brightcite stuff... might have to switch gears and mock up some Dreadcite Tech since those, theoretically, can be combined.

Archived