Fix your F*ing Scalding bug

What's confusing about scalding?

It happens when a dupe is in a gas or liquid hotter than 72.85 C. I don't think this threshold is listed in game, though the increase in the scalding threshold provided by suits is listed. The "72 C" threshold is by far the most important piece of information.

Dupes cover two tiles. It is the average temperature of the two tiles that matters. If one tile is vacuum this averaging can dramatically increase the temperature that dupes can tolerate without being scalded (increases the threshold to 417 C for legs in liquid, head in vacuum).

Dupes who are being scalded take 10 hitpoint damage every ~6 seconds. Quantities and temperatures don't matter.

It gets weird with gas which is less than 1 g/tile, because gases less than 1 g/tile don't exchange temperature except with buildings. Normally a dupe can cool down the gas they are standing in thus possibly reducing the temperature of the gas below the scalding threshold, this is not possible for sub-gram gas, even though heat exchange with the dupe should nearly instantly lower the temperature, there's zero heat exchange. This isn't a bug, but it's a weird decision by the devs. Personally I think that if sub gram gas doesn't exchange temperature, it also shouldn't scald.

In areas with sub-gram gas you should vacuum it out entirely or use buildings (e.g. radiant pipes) to cool it down.

7 hours ago, blakemw said:

What's confusing about scalding?

It happens when a dupe is in a gas or liquid hotter than 72.85 C. I don't think this threshold is listed in game, though the increase in the scalding threshold provided by suits is listed. The "72 C" threshold is by far the most important piece of information.

Dupes cover two tiles. It is the average temperature of the two tiles that matters. If one tile is vacuum this averaging can dramatically increase the temperature that dupes can tolerate without being scalded (increases the threshold to 417 C for legs in liquid, head in vacuum).

Dupes who are being scalded take 10 hitpoint damage every ~6 seconds. Quantities and temperatures don't matter.

It gets weird with gas which is less than 1 g/tile, because gases less than 1 g/tile don't exchange temperature except with buildings. Normally a dupe can cool down the gas they are standing in thus possibly reducing the temperature of the gas below the scalding threshold, this is not possible for sub-gram gas, even though heat exchange with the dupe should nearly instantly lower the temperature, there's zero heat exchange. This isn't a bug, but it's a weird decision by the devs. Personally I think that if sub gram gas doesn't exchange temperature, it also shouldn't scald.

In areas with sub-gram gas you should vacuum it out entirely or use buildings (e.g. radiant pipes) to cool it down.

ok thanks, but how can scalding happen if my base 25-30 C ?

2 minutes ago, SuperUser13 said:
7 hours ago, blakemw said:

ok thanks, but how can scalding happen if my base 25-30 C ?

You'd need to provide more details. If you haven't used a mod to disable it you should get a notification for scalding and can then see why they are getting scalded. 

High athletics dupes can get some distance from the source of scalding before the notification appears.

57 minutes ago, meekay said:

@SuperUser13 Also check to see if they might be carrying something hot. After I set up my volcano tamers I frequently have to lock the doors or bored dupes will go in and start moving hot metal/igneous around manually.

ahhh **** right I remember
they carry 200 C salt to ... things that make bleach out of salt and gold.

thx, that it I guess.

Sry for angry rant.

Archived