Insulated pipes don't preserve the temperature

I had an Ice zone loop of Polluted water. The slime biome was in the middle about 10 tiles wide. I used regular pipes to pump the polluted water from the reservoir I had built into the Ice biome right next to it on the left side. I installed a heat exchanger at the bottom heat tiles exchangers behind all the pipes in the ice zone. It made loop of 10 tiles down and 10 up in the Ice biome and had double airlock doors, (there aren't any apparent insulated doors,) and the insulted Igneous pipe  polluted water read it was -16 degrees at the second door going back into the slime biome. 10 tiles back across and about 10 down with insulated blocks on the insulated pipes to the metal refinery. But the first block after the door the temperature goes up to 0, second tile it goes up to 5 3rd is about 12 degrees and needless to say by the time it 10 tiles across the slime biome it is back to room temperature. Oddly the metal refinery never complained about the temperature, and equally odd was that the temperature never seems to go up going through the metal refinery(though it is tough to keep the refinery running non stop since map 42 doesn't have a lot of copper.) I just had issue with plumbing since there aren't any one-way valves and the liquid couldn't decide which way to flow back into my general polluted water plumbing, but I got that free flowing and all it just drains back into the polluted water reservoir.

So what were the pipes made of? Them being insulated doesn`t mean they don`t transfer heat at all. It means they do it much slower but depending on the material they are made of they can still transfer heat pretty fast. For example if they run through a liquid with a high temperature difference. If you have large differences in temperature you should make the insulated pipes out of ceramic.

As for the metal refinery it won`t complain about heat ever. Only thing it does is dump the heat it creates into the liquid. If it boils it will break the output pipe and release steam (in case of water) to the surroundings. You say the temperature didn`t go up. Some recipies create very little heat. I think gold amalgam heats the collant very little meanwhile the steel one is enough heat to boil room temperature water.

As for one way valves most of us use bridges for that purpose.

The i rock:listening_headphone Ingenous or whatever because it is described as being "thermally reactive" but I can't find any in game or wiki description. Now after finding the oni wiki with all the stats I see it has the same thermal conductivity as obsidian, but still no description of what "thermally reactive" is.:geek: A good point there about the bridges.:wilson_bearded:(The Dude Jeff Bridges)

It was the insulated pipe in insulated blocks I thought was suppose to preserve the temp more than 3 blocks. But then I had a bad layout coming out the door instead of above the door on hind site.The Insulation material is almost impossible to make not sure if the B52 tree is outside of the Space DLC and seems quite impossible to keep fed from the other calculations posted on the forums if you don't happen to have it spawn. Spun glass should give it a higher R rating. But who wants to incorporate RL in to it??!

The only pipes that are perfectly insulated are insulated insulation pipes.  All other pipes will transfer heat.

If you want the pipes to leak no or negligible heat in to the environment, you can encase the insulated pipe in insulated tiles.  The pipes will eventually get to the temperature of the liquid and then no heat transfer will take place, and they barely transfer any heat to an insulated tile.

Archived