Feature suggestion: Industrial Sauna Shine bugs

We all know that currently shine bugs are nearly useless in the base game. But today i was working again on my industrial sauna and i thought:

Could you use the shine bugs as a lightsource to give dupes a lit workspace buff.

If you could ranch a new morph of shine bugs that emit light in extreme temperatures, so that dupes can work faster in industrial sauna's.
it would give me the reason to build a shinebug feeder mechanism in my sauna to reduce labor times.

Please let me know if you also like this idea.

It would work... right up until all your shine bugs die off.

Their maximum livable temperature is a mere 50c, which is a bit cold for any kind of steam-based room.

Edit: Unless that's what you meant to change via a new morph.

Shinebugs have a lot of morphs that just differ in color and diet. Giving them interesting stats like temperature tolerance or bigger radiation outputs would help a lot in making the morphs viable as well as giving an incentive to farm different food to get the morphs.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Roeland25 said:

We all know that currently shine bugs are nearly useless in the base game. But today i was working again on my industrial sauna and i thought:

Could you use the shine bugs as a lightsource to give dupes a lit workspace buff.

If you could ranch a new morph of shine bugs that emit light in extreme temperatures, so that dupes can work faster in industrial sauna's.
it would give me the reason to build a shinebug feeder mechanism in my sauna to reduce labor times.

Please let me know if you also like this idea.

Make shinebug lamps for decore. Pipe extra eggs into a glass box. Use abyssalite bugs for bedroom.

Or use Radiation to kill germs.

So what would be some alternative ideas?

Maybe a shinebug that grows plants little faster or hatches eggs like a heat lamp.

One that improves Critter moods, hunger rate or metabolism.

Radiation variant would be great for seed mutations. Maybe one that increases the mutated chances.

High and low temperature base variety.

Maybe the last one is an immortal shinebug. Never lays eggs, just is.

Shinebug lamps would be cool. It would look like a birdcage in a mine but one that gives light. It would be also useful for many applications like setting light and radiation zones in certain places. The lamp would need a new replacement shinebug whenever the one inside dies so it would make sense to ranch them. For simplicity the caged bug should be an item, not require food and not reproduce.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Shinebug lamps would be cool. It would look like a birdcage in a mine but one that gives light. It would be also useful for many applications like setting light and radiation zones in certain places. The lamp would need a new replacement shinebug whenever the one inside dies so it would make sense to ranch them. For simplicity the caged bug should be an item, not require food and not reproduce.

Oh no, I'm currently working on shinebug lamps. The system took up a little space but 1 shinebug and a bit of food and unlimited light and decore. 

Same idea behind shinebug reactors with more automation.

Archived