Since skill trees are to help new players

Might be controversial but what if we leaned into encouraging new players to explore the world to get their skill points

3 to start with

2 skill points for visiting the caves

3 skill points for finding the archives

3 skill points for visiting the ruins (not completing just entering)

3 skill points for finding islands at sea (cap of 2 islands for this one) islands being lunar island, pearl, moon quay, and while techinically cheating that giant tree biome.

1 skill point for defeating a mini boss or boss monster.

So what do you guys think?

I feel like this strikes a perfect balance by rewarding players for exploring and interacting with the world while not making it a complete skill check.

6 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

3 skill points for finding the archives

3 skill points for visiting the ruins (not completing just entering)

I'd change this for 1 point each and the 4 remaining should be for making crafting stations (Science Machine, Alchemy Engine, Prestihatitator and Shadow Manipulator).

2 minutes ago, Ulisesvolador said:

I'd change this for 1 point each and the 4 remaining should be for making crafting stations (Science Machine, Alchemy Engine, Prestihatitator and Shadow Manipulator).

I considered that but I feel like the current crafting menu already encourages players to make those and basic survival needs encourage mainland exploration. However there's not enough incentive to visit areas outside the mainland even more so if a player has a bad experience the first time they try so I figure this would be a good way to bride new players into asking questions or seeing what these areas are about without strong arming them into it something dst has been lacking. 

Just now, Mysterious box said:

I considered that but I feel like the current crafting menu already encourages players to make those and basic survival needs encourage mainland exploration. However there's not enough incentive to visit areas outside the mainland even more so if a player has a bad experience the first time they try so I figure this would be a good way to bride new players into asking questions or seeing what these areas are about without strong arming them into it something dst has been lacking. 

I agree but I also think that giving 6 skill points for just doing that is a bit too much.

5 minutes ago, Ulisesvolador said:

I agree but I also think that giving 6 skill points for just doing that is a bit too much.

Honestly you might be right my reasoning was just that asking new players to explore the caves was already a big hurdle so going to those areas I felt should be rewarding.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

Honestly you might be right my reasoning was just that asking new players to explore the caves was already a big hurdle so going to those areas I felt should be rewarding.

Hilariously even though I’ve been playing DS/DST since they’re release I actually barely dip down into caves, Caves are scary! And maybe it’s the constant sanity drain or me ending up in Dead End paths with no food anywhere to be found so I starve to Death, but I generally try to avoid anything that jeopardizes my survival. Does that mean I DON’T explore caves? No.. it just means I avoid it until I feel the desire that I NEED to (such as hunting down lunar grotto for living logs) I feel like my experience in caves might would change if I had the Bundling Wraps to preserve foods and lightbulbs with.

But if it’s an area of the game I, an experienced player avoid.. then logic would seem to imply that a newbie would be less inclined to explore them than I.

That said: Caves Content is actually fun, I practically lived in Caves as Winona & Wurt.. I wish some old outdated emptish biomes could get a 2023 overhaul, and of course the new ink blights shake things up by hilariously Mortar striking other nearby mobs with bombs, But it’s not an area of the game I would actively encourage anyone who struggles to survive to attempt to explore.

I guess the same can equally be said about lunar island, spiders get Deerclops AoE smashes, your plucked Carrots come to life and run away from you, and Saladmanders will violently stab you to death no questions asked.

Bottom line: it’ll be hard to lure players outside of their comfort zone.

But HASN'T this always been the nature of the game?? Sure I guess you COULD go pick a fight with those 3 Mama Spiders that just spawned out the ground.. but you can also Flee the Area and let them calm down to revert back into tier 1 dens too.

Archived