Let Wormwood transmute Living Log's into Regular Logs.

While I have mostly positive opinions on majority of the abilities found in Wormwood's skill tree and the changes it's received throughout the beta, there is one feature that I would really like to see added, and that would be a transmutation skill that allows Wormwood to convert a single Living Log into 4 Regular Logs.

Anyone who plays Wormwood will most likely run into a situation in the mid to late game where they've amassed enough Living Logs to fill multiple chests, and they don't really have anything that they can do with them other than use them as kindling, which feels a bit wasteful. It would be really handy, but not particularly overpowered, if Wormwood can use these excess Living Logs to make Regular Wood for more basic crafts, since you don't need to look hard to find uses for logs in this game.

It would also make sense from a character perspective, both with Wormwood now being able to produce many basic resources (Saplings, Berries, Reeds) and because Wormwood doesn't want to hurt the trees, since they are his friends (Just look at how sad he is in the new update teaser, watching other survivors harm them), so he would probably much rather substitute their lumber with his own.

It might not be the most amazing skill ever, but it would help round out his character and fix an issue that his usual gameplay tends to run into, and would probably be a much better use of a skill slot than the Flytrap skill. It would also just be funny for Wormwood players to be able to make bases where everything in it is made from them.

Also, I really like the idea of Wormwood suddenly becoming a contender for best log farming character in the game. For the longest time it was between Wurt and Maxwell, with his rework pushing him up to the top, then along comes Woodie with his shiny new skills, hoping to snatch the crown, before Wormwood appears, offering an alternative strategy for survival: chopping off your arm.

3 hours ago, Blinker said:

than use them as kindling, which feels a bit wasteful. It would be really handy, but not particularly overpowered, if Wormwood can use these excess Living Logs to make Regular Wood for more basic crafts,

You say burning them is wasteful but down grading them isn't?

3 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

Have you played long term world? You often have waaayyyy too much of them, and wormwood has the potential to farm living logs like crazy. This is a good change. That is 24 logs from a tree guard that will be more useful than adding 6 more living logs to your vast collection of them.

Also burning them is wasteful because it provides the same fuel as a normal log, where as now it is equal to 4 logs.

2 hours ago, abrocator said:

I want a living floorboard that screams when I walk on it.

I like the way you think. If we can get Beard Rugs added, then we should have this too. Wilson and Wormwood players teaming up to decorate the base with their body parts sounds like a horrifically fun idea.

15 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

It's really not a downgrade, though? You're just taking a rare item (Which isn't actually rare for you since you're Wormwood) that can be only be used in a few crafts (Albeit very strong ones) and turning it into an easy source of an item with an incredibly high amount of simpler uses. Logs are some of the most important resources in the game, due to how many crafts require it (Like, you literally cannot play the game if you play with the self imposed rule of not cutting down trees) so I don't really see how it's wasteful to "downgrade" the 60 something Living Logs you have collecting dust in a chest somewhere into something you will always be able to get value from.

Like yeah, Living Logs are great and Wormwood being able to craft them on demand is an incredibly useful ability, but you won't often need that many Living Logs, since the items requiring it are balanced around the idea of the rest of the cast of survivors not being able to craft them at will. There are shadow crafts, ruin crafts, some character specific crafts and mushroom planters (which nobody uses), almost all of which you can get with a couple treeguards worth of Living Logs. You never really NEED to have entire chests full of Living Logs, yet that's often the case when you reach a certain point as Wormwood. I don't see why he shouldn't get a skill that allows for some more versatility from items that you can tell were not designed for bulk crafting.

Also, a single Living Log has a fuel value of 45 seconds. For comparison, a single piece of compost (8 hp for Wormwood) also has a 45 second fuel value, and a single piece of rot (4hp) has 30 seconds, and compost wrap (40hp) has 180 seconds. Meaning that you legitimately get more value from burning the healing items you would've used to restore your lost hp than you would've from crafting a living log and then burning it. So yes that is legitimately very wasteful.

I'm really not seeing how this skill would be a wasteful use of Living Logs.

Archived