I want to control the flow of air.

Because man, if you have an excessively large base it becomes an issue moving air around. The top of my base where my vents all are has like 1800g of oxygen but down closer to the bottom of my base it’s down to barely breathable at like 3-400 oxy. Using airflow tiles helps mitigate it but I want to be able to push air around more effectively because once you start putting multiple vents in multiple areas you wind up trapping carbon dioxide due to pressure from different oxygen sources. the oxygen has a difficult time making it down there, then crops can stop growing due to pressure issues, dupes have difficulties working in these areas where carbon dioxide gets pressure trapped, it’s a nightmare and a pain. It would be cool to have a 1x1 or 2x1 fan item that would push air from the back of the tile to the front of the tile, perhaps even 2 or 3 tiles in front of it and displace a set amount of grams per second from behind it to in front of it. It could have an over pressure check just like regular vents do and lock at 1800 grams so it doesn’t over pressurize an area. I know that plastic vents can let out something like 3.6kg or whatever but you still run into the problem of an improperly balanced oxygen dispersal whereby the top of your base (or wherever you place your vents- I prefer to have a top down airflow system that pumps oxygen down from above to push the carbon dioxide to the bottom where it can be vented out into space or crushed or fed to slicksters or fuel for an early game carbon dioxide rocket or whatever I feel like doing with it) has an insane oxygen pressure and as you get further away from your vents the pressure gradually recedes.  I dunno, seems like a fan tile would solve all of that and perhaps even have other meta uses that would prove to be multifunctional. Perhaps you could have a lengthy geothermal HVAC system by which maybe you had an infectious polluted oxygen vent that ran through an ice biome using fans to push the air through it and cool it on a pipeless loop and have deodorizers at the end to filter out the pollution, then have it directed back into your base. Cooled, cleaned oxygen by means of using the environment instead of using a complicated cooling pipe loop, or AETN, or something like that. I dunno dude it’s a sandbox game use your imagination. There’s gotta be tons of uses for a tile that can displace gasses. 

2 hours ago, jocodyroberts said:

Because man, if you have an excessively large base it becomes an issue moving air around.

Then stop moving it around. :) Use atmo suits instead. You dupes will not run out of air in any area and they won't mess up the pressure at your farm for example.

2 hours ago, jocodyroberts said:

Perhaps you could have a lengthy geothermal HVAC system by which maybe you had an infectious polluted oxygen vent that ran through an ice biome using fans to push the air through it and cool it on a pipeless loop and have deodorizers at the end to filter out the pollution, then have it directed back into your base.

Moving gases can also be done by using mechanized airlocks. You can easily push the gas through a biome with no pipes.

7 hours ago, Knurek said:

Then stop moving it around. :) Use atmo suits instead. You dupes will not run out of air in any area and they won't mess up the pressure at your farm for example.

Moving gases can also be done by using mechanized airlocks. You can easily push the gas through a biome with no pipes.

Alright man, youre just trying to shoot down my idea by offering barely sufficient band aids to the problem. Would you even consider a lengthy automation system with doors the entire way worth it just to move air? No, because that’s incredibly resource intensive, you’re talking about using refined metals with automation and tons and tons of doors, how cumbersome of a solution did you really just offer here? Weigh it out, it’s clearly not worth the trouble going your route. My route, however, would be simple, compact, and much simpler than youre spider web system of logic gates and timers and doors. 

38 minutes ago, jocodyroberts said:

Alright man, youre just trying to shoot down my idea by offering barely sufficient band aids to the problem. Would you even consider a lengthy automation system with doors the entire way worth it just to move air? No, because that’s incredibly resource intensive, you’re talking about using refined metals with automation and tons and tons of doors, how cumbersome of a solution did you really just offer here? Weigh it out, it’s clearly not worth the trouble going your route. My route, however, would be simple, compact, and much simpler than youre spider web system of logic gates and timers and doors. 

Here's an example called "diagonal gas displacement door compressor", which is basically a single door on a timer moving gas from left room to the right one. Nothing complicated or expensive.

YqgwC9Q.gif

It is from the compendium here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2154398396 Maybe it's something that would interest you.

Following your example of a polluted oxygen vent you can build this thing into a wall of a cold biome, suck hot polluted oxygen on one side and have the buildup of pressure on the opposite side push the gas through that cold biome into deodorizers and to your base.

As for atmo suits I just put the docks right at the only exit of a small area where my dupes live, which is the only area where I need to worry about oxygen. I always make a little more of it than dupes need so the excess gradually fills up the entire map and stays there, because they breath from the suits when they are outside working.

There are many solutions for the build up of co2 that you've mentioned. Simplest one being to just delete it. Also just a single door on a timer. You can read about it at the link above.

For the record I didn't even mention your idea. I actually think pumps built into tiles could be a nice and useful addition.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:26 PM, Knurek said:

Here's an example called "diagonal gas displacement door compressor", which is basically a single door on a timer moving gas from left room to the right one. Nothing complicated or expensive.

YqgwC9Q.gif

It is from the compendium here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2154398396 Maybe it's something that would interest you.

Following your example of a polluted oxygen vent you can build this thing into a wall of a cold biome, suck hot polluted oxygen on one side and have the buildup of pressure on the opposite side push the gas through that cold biome into deodorizers and to your base.

As for atmo suits I just put the docks right at the only exit of a small area where my dupes live, which is the only area where I need to worry about oxygen. I always make a little more of it than dupes need so the excess gradually fills up the entire map and stays there, because they breath from the suits when they are outside working.

There are many solutions for the build up of co2 that you've mentioned. Simplest one being to just delete it. Also just a single door on a timer. You can read about it at the link above.

For the record I didn't even mention your idea. I actually think pumps built into tiles could be a nice and useful addition.

Alright I like this design you posted here. The gif of the natural gas geyser looks super simple to make, I hate to say it because I have a swollen ego but you might be right lol. That’s an interesting concept just having living areas be oxygenated and the rest of everything else being atmo suits. So what, do you just have a SPOM feed your atmo suits and the apartment quarters of your dupes? Everything else like critter farms, your food farms, that kinda thing is outside of your base?  

8 hours ago, jocodyroberts said:

So what, do you just have a SPOM feed your atmo suits and the apartment quarters of your dupes? Everything else like critter farms, your food farms, that kinda thing is outside of your base? 

Yes, exactly. Also helps game performance as I don't need to run pipes/build SPOMs covering the entire map. I actually tried that in the past.

8 hours ago, Knurek said:

Yes, exactly. Also helps game performance as I don't need to run pipes/build SPOMs covering the entire map. I actually tried that in the past.

Nice,

I actually tried that yesterday after I read your comment. I don’t think I did a very good job lol just in creative/sandbox I wanted to see if I could setup a 40 dupe living area and wound up using like a third of a spaced out size map 140x280 lol I can’t help but want one of each dupe including Jorge haha I know that’s probably too much, and if I was really playing for real I would prolly stick to a maximum of 16 dupes tops but yeah. Gonna need to workshop this more haha

Oxygen floats above most gases. Try putting your vents towards the bottom of your base/area to be oxygenated. Note that if the vents are covered by small amounts of other gasses they will never overpressurize and you might end up accidentally discovering infinite gas storage in your base if you produce too much O2.

Best bet is to put the vents in a vertical stack up the center of your base. Go up the center and always be producing more than you need. Try to produce exactly 1000 g/s oxygen for 10 dupes and you will likely have pressure issues. Double it. The rooms will overpressurize if you make too much and you won't actually waste water/algae or whatever you are using to make O2. The screenshot below is in a base for 16 dupes. Making oxygen using electrolyzers, enough for 30 dupes. The algae diffusers are from the start of the game and aren't used.

image.thumb.png.5cfe7a0f6607c70eb87cd3e822f4bb18.png

On 6/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, jocodyroberts said:

Because man, if you have an excessively large base it becomes an issue moving air around

How big is your base? I have no such problems

Spoiler

796411435_1.thumb.jpg.f2bc090dec0e8d49f11050d6cc78f659.jpg

1157843942_.thumb.jpg.2b0a0a6ab623edf5cd600be74bb1756e.jpg

Archived