Please allow us to swap the button functions of A and B.

On other consoles/PC the default controller layout is the bottom face button is the one used to pick up items( X for PlayStation or A for Xbox), the face button on the right is used for actions like hammering, teleporting, mounting beefalo, etc. (this would be O on PlayStation, and B on Xbox)

On the switch version this layout is flipped. The face button on bottom is to hammer, teleport, mount beef etc and the button on the right is the one used for picking up items.

this makes it unnecessarily difficult to swap between the controls of DST on consoles like ps5 and the controls of the switch version for absolutely no reason. 

I ask to at least allow us to swap the controls of A and B so that the controller layout follows suit with other console versions. Obviously it would be even better to have complete control over button layout but I think this a fair compromise for the moment and would be a small step in the direction at least.

Thanks for reading.

Honestly I can't believe we can't remap buttons on any console.  It would vastly improve the mechanics on console.  One step further of adding a **** modifier to one of the triggers would dramatically expand the capabilities of console players.

I hope that one of the "2 Core Game Enhancement Updates" gives some serious attention to console game play.  A lot of money and effort went into porting to the Switch and continues with updates to all three consoles.  It would be a shame if they never take the time to implement some basic fixes to make this game more accessible for controllers.  Button mapping feels like one of the easiest fixes of all (unless they hard-coded the button name in all of the popups).  Certainly a simply button flip for the A/B X/Y would be even simpler.

I get that some things with controllers will never be entirely resolved, like the Lazy Explorer or Star Caller Staff will never have pinpoint accuracy, but it would be nice if I could toggle a range limit for items that have a fixed maximum range.  The Lazy Explorer seems to seek a specific distance from the player and then adjusts based on the map in the area.  If you could dial that back via a setting it would help in fights like Fuel Weaver. Even a radius selection like small, medium or larger (default) would feel amazing.

Some ranged items like the ice staff, telelocator staff and boomerang appear to seek the target in the direction the player is facing.  But for whatever reason the weather pain has zero range at all and only seems to work on items right next to the player.  Consistency feels off and makes for a frustrating experience.

I fear that one problem might be console users just are not well represented here.  I get that it is likely console users represent a much smaller percentage of the total DST population, but I think console users are not using the forum in the same proportion as Steam users are and as a result our voice may not carry much weight.

have offline mode permanent for a save file and make the caves work like solo dont starve where its a separate instance if in offline mode. i know your pushing getting a nintendo online account but there isnt anything i would use it for as the platform is a failure and even first party games are bad with online matches. arms is a prime example. i know as a company you are moving on to rotwood and we shouldnt expect much especially since its not coming to switch. but attempting to say this is the hardware when base line DS with shipwreck is fine with caves makes it seem like most of the users here dont actually have the single player game

Archived