Planar defense formula changed

It seems the formula has changed in the last update.

822724150_Screenshot(582).png.9be7074fd134eef42139a7c7047b4a13.png

I don't know how to find the formula in code (if someone can teach me, i'll appreciate).

- I did some math, the minimum reduction is now 0% instead of old 50%. (old tiny fire damage was also reduced to less than 50%. Now fire damage will do nearly 100% damage).

- All weapons with 68 damage deals 50% more damage against planar defense. (Old ds did 27 dmg, new does 41 dmg, that's a 50% increase)

(Mighty wolfgang with dark sword deals 35% more damage in new formula compared to the old).

Planar defense is a soft gate keeping mechanic, just like you need bee queen crown to fight fuel weaver, but the crown is ultimately optional. Brightshade weapons are also optional. And now the old weapons' situation is improved, the new weapons are becoming more of a choice rather than necessity.

I would say its a step in the right direction - although still not the way I think it should go.  I'd rather they didn't hide wonky numbers like this under the hood, it doesn't have to be so complicated we need practice dummies to figure it out lol  This doesn't make planar damage any better of an idea.

That said - the next step in this direction is to change how non-planar armor works against planar damage.  imo its absolutely ridiculous that it ignores armor completely.  In this game 80% armor is weak, and damage from incoming mobs is appropriately scaled for this.  Ignoring armor is a BIG power and it comes out of left field, like a jump scare in a bad horror flick.

Klei is playing a dirty game of forcing us to be unprepared for the new content, and then forcing the Holy Ordained Endgame Log Suit and Officially Sanctioned DarkSword Re-Skin of ScrewWolfgang-ness lol

50 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I would say its a step in the right direction - although still not the way I think it should go.  I'd rather they didn't hide wonky numbers like this under the hood, it doesn't have to be so complicated we need practice dummies to figure it out lol  This doesn't make planar damage any better of an idea.

That said - the next step in this direction is to change how non-planar armor works against planar damage.  imo its absolutely ridiculous that it ignores armor completely.  In this game 80% armor is weak, and damage from incoming mobs is appropriately scaled for this.  Ignoring armor is a BIG power and it comes out of left field, like a jump scare in a bad horror flick.

Klei is playing a dirty game of forcing us to be unprepared for the new content, and then forcing the Holy Ordained Endgame Log Suit and Officially Sanctioned DarkSword Re-Skin of ScrewWolfgang-ness lol

This really doesn’t hurt wolfgang very much though, and the formula change helps him a lot.

With a dark sword ( 68 * 2 = 136) wolfgang does about 67 damage even through planar defense.

With a brightsword (38 * 2 = 76, plus 30 planar) wolfgang deals about 75 damage total.

A normal character with a dark sword will only deal aprox 41.5 damage through planar defense, which means wolfgang’s 2x damage boost becomes a 1.6x damage boost in practice.

With a brightsword, a normal damage character does approx 57 damage total (38 normal, 30 planar)

This means that with a dark sword compared to normal dark sword, Wolfgang deals 60% more vs planar creatures

Compared to 1x damage with a brightsword, Wolf with a dark sword deals 17.5% more.

Wolf with a brightsword vs 1x damage with a bright sword deals 31% more.

What we can conclude from this is that Wolfgang can use a comparatively cheap dark sword in any scenario where normal characters would use a brightsword (as he still does 17.5% more damage), and also gets effectively a 30% damage boost vs standard damage even when both using a brightsword vs planar creatures.

Neither option is bad for Wolf, who can go straight into making planar armor first and skip the brightsword entirely.

The formula looks better now. If I understood correctly, now Wilson with the shadow perk and Wigfrid can use the brightshade sword to overcome a very important threshold of 60 damage, although it's just saving one hit...

And 68-69 damage if you have full new brightshade armor.

Archived