concerns regarding the beta

Put simply, what's the point of it? Why will people want to interact with the new content?

Disclaimer: If this ties into something down the road that we dont know about, it's fine I guess

Right now, killing cc feels like a punishment, because now you get plant disease if you're unlucky and base close to the portal. But more importantly, why should anyone interact with this content? It's just not rewarding. The new weapons/armor are fine, but if you manage to kill cc, you probably have access to good enough armor anyways, to the point where this just isn't necessary. Lastly, it's locked content that at a minimum, 50% of the DST player base wont interact with unless they change the default world settings.

If you look at all the prior dst content updates, there was at least a good reason to interact with the new stuff

Reap what you sow - food, survival, enough said

eye of the storm - cool new boss and boss drop(s)

Monkey island - food source, reeds, more seafaring content

Waterlogged - knobbly trees are useful for megabases, more ocean content

Stage update (this one is iffy) - lots of lore nuggets; the stage gives free gifts which is nice in the early game

The examples go on and on

This update - Late game content, but it just doesn't enhance the survival experience in any way which makes me question how relevant the content is overall

Look, I want to be respectful here and I know the dev's have a plan and they put a lot of time into the update. However, I want to at least leave this feedback here because I think it needs to be said. 

sidenote - the lunar/shadow aligned concept might have some relevance and justification for pursuing some of these more "advanced" crafts but obviously there aren't enough of those mobs/bosses right now to justify going through all this effort to make these crafts.

If that's the path we end up going, I think most of my concerns are addressed. If that isn't the case though... :/ 

Okay so I want to contradict your post.

First of all: I’ve never done ANY of the Eye of The Storm Content, that is an entire game content update I’ve never even gotten to experience.

However: The New Beta update will add this content as a World Generation option you can Toggle on/off (hopefully this also applies to the previous Moonstorms since the devs want to now include infused Moonstorm shards in item crafts) which means content I was completely locked out of enjoying because I didn’t have the Skill to Fight the Boss or the Time to build play the game up to that point- is now accessible to me immediately to enjoy.

I believe that having to kill the CC is only a precautionary measure to prevent people from being able to force Lets just call it New Game + onto Newbie players. It’s not about the skill required in killing the CC, it’s more about the time it’ll take to get to that point so that you can’t just rush NG+ onto other less skilled players.

Having said that, I love the fact I can also optionally toggle the content on to enjoy the new content, without being locked out of it through a Skill or Time Based gap.

I’d also imagine that if you start your world with this feature toggled on that you’ll be able to get some crazy powerful gear & tools super early into your game..

But I suppose that’s the small price you have to pay in order to enjoy new content without the natural progression that would otherwise normally be required to get to it.

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

However: The New Beta update will add this content as a World Generation option you can Toggle on/off (hopefully this also applies to the previous Moonstorms since the devs want to now include infused Moonstorm shards in item crafts) which means content I was completely locked out of enjoying because I didn’t have the Skill to Fight the Boss or the Time to build play the game up to that point- is now accessible to me immediately to enjoy.

Probably not really advised because the new mobs deal high damage and are geared towards experienced players. Toggling moonstorms manually doesnt make sense either. If they were always on, the AFW questline would be stuck at the shadow pieces. Also, that would eliminate sanity and darkness as challenges of the constant - 2 of the most fundamental challenges i might add.

Even if you have early access to the content, i still dont see why a player would need it. The new crafts are slightly improved football helmets/log suits, and a slightly better glass cutter. They aren't must have items and are purely novelty items as they are. I dont know why anyone needs a bomb in the early game either. Or a golden shovel 2.0, or a pick/axe - a very unpopular item anyways. 

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’d also imagine that if you start your world with this feature toggled on that you’ll be able to get some crazy powerful gear & tools super early into your game..

not really

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But I suppose that’s the small price you have to pay in order to enjoy new content without the natural progression that would otherwise normally be required to get to it.

i hate to say this but im not sure if "enjoy" is the right word. It looks more like a lot of hassle for not a lot of benefit.

Planar defense/damage is a cheap way of forcing people to use the new dark sword reskin/armor

The plants are a cool idea, could use better loot or a slight nerf, preferably both 

The new designs are incredible, klei art team is on point as usual

make new gear actually good or stop making new gear, pls we have enough clones already

Also the portal spawning and corrupting the surrounding area is a really cool idea

honestly this update is a few good tweaks away from being really great

15 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

a pick/axe - a very unpopular item anyways. 

In all fairness the main reasons for why the pick/axe didn't see much use from players is because the only way to get it was to go all the way to an ancient pseudoscience station and back, and since we have a lot of other methods to harvest boulders and trees, most of the time players would rather spend the resources they find there on other stuff like the armour or staves [hell, players like me would even rather use thulecite on walls for decor]. But what I want to get at, is that the pick/axe as an item, in a vacuum, is actually really good.

So I don't think the new pick/axe craft in and of itself is all that bad since you can just have a version of it craftable basically anywhere in the world now, for me the problem comes in at having to deal with brightshades and that right now we have basically no options that feel reliable enough for the job. If stats and the like get tweaked more then this'll be less of a problem, but it's hard to really visualize that since a lot of the new things introduced here work pretty weirdly with the rest of the game and a LOT would need to be done to get everything where it needs to be.

i think this comes down to how they continue to develop these updates. They seem intent on putting out updates that have some cool ideas and are mostly foundational, but lack the majority of content and features to be dropped in a later update 3 or so months down the line when everyone has already gotten bored of their original update. 

So by the time they get around to fully fleshing out their ideas people are already bored with their execution. I mean just look at the ocean. It followed this same pattern and people still feel like it lacks content.

I know they have a pipeline that they are sticking to but man.... I just wish they sit down for a good couple of months and really just focus on putting out a large expansionary sized update. 

3 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I just wish they sit down for a good couple of months and really just focus on putting out a large expansionary sized update. 

Kinda starting to wish they would do what mojang did like introduce a few things in a beta and just slowly work away at it add onto it and work on it for a while and not segment it into parts just drop the whole big update at once.

6 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Kinda starting to wish they would do what mojang did like introduce a few things in a beta and just slowly work away at it add onto it and work on it for a while and not segment it into parts just drop the whole big update at once.

Im not sure I agree with that.

Ex. Return of them: In my opinion, this content arc was executed well. If they released it all at once, we would've had nothing meaningful added to the game for almost 2 years. Even if they took out all of the reworks, seasonal festivities, etc. out, we probably would've gone a full year without any new cool content. That's one way to quickly make your player base disappear out of boredom. My issue is more that this update in specific lacks the "pull" for people to want to try it out.

I agree with the poster above who said that the new art is incredible, but what are people looking forward to out of this update? From a survival perspective, there's nothing really new, outside of a new mob that is kind of annoying. Again, I love the Klei team and I dont want to sound mean, but I think this needs to be said before the public release and the broader player base harbors a similar sentiment that can possibly be addressed while it's still in beta.

42 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

Im not sure I agree with that.

If they released it all at once, we would've had nothing meaningful added to the game for almost 2 years.

I mean I would argue we have already gone, what, 8 months without any new meaningful game content when Curse of the Moon Quay arrived in June of last year. I guess there could be a debate on whether character refreshes, seasonal events and QOL updates are substantial enough to satisfy players. But for me they are not, these are small minor updates that only affect  portion of the game overall and have no real meaning on gameplay progression.

I'd prefer if they'd have taken those 8 months since moon quay and focused 90% of their resources on a big update with the last 10% dedicated to smaller QOL updates and skins.

All in all, after patiently waiting for the next big update for 8 months now it is not surprising that this update comes off as underwhelming, and if they are sticking to their schedule we will have to wait another 3 months to get another update that will probably add a single additional mechanic. Do you not find this to be exhausting?  

58 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I'd prefer if they'd have taken those 8 months since moon quay and focused 90% of their resources on a big update with the last 10% dedicated to smaller QOL updates and skins.

That's fair, but you have to think about Klei from a business standpoint too. We paid at most $15 for the game, and we're getting free updates on a monthly basis. People will say... "oh Klei has made $X off DST already", but they fail to realize that Klei isn't a charity.

What I'm getting at is that these trickle updates are essential to Klei's business model. They're ways to generate cashflow on a monthly basis and keep the player base engaged. The latter of which I'm raising alarm bells about with regard to this specific update.

11 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

That's fair, but you have to think about Klei from a business standpoint too. We paid at most $15 for the game, and we're getting free updates on a monthly basis. People will say... "oh Klei has made $X off DST already", but they fail to realize that Klei isn't a charity.

What I'm getting at is that these trickle updates are essential to Klei's business model. They're ways to generate cashflow on a monthly basis and keep the player base engaged. The latter of which I'm raising alarm bells about with regard to this specific update.

Yeah i get it, they definitley need to keep players engaged but... I'm not really sure if they are even managing to do that with their current update cycle.

Each time i go on the server browser (on both Playstation and PC), there are fewer and fewer servers to join. Couple that with DST's abysmal twitch veiwership and the fact that klei is interested more than ever in the new player experience with the past few updates tells me that DST has a struggle with keeping players. 

Maybe it just boils down to the fact that we live in a live service battle pass oriented gaming world and DST's trickle of updates just isnt enough to keep casual players interested whereas the longterm players just constantly feel underwhelmed 

The more I think about this, I think my concerns have largely addressed themselves. If this is the first of 5-10 updates like Return of Them, this is a pretty clever way to introduce new content, and it holds so much potential.

To be honest, we haven't had a content update like this in a long time so pardon my lack of familiarity with the way things work around here. I was viewing this update in the lens of Monkey Island, the Stage, or the Terraria crossover where the new content had an immediate impact on gameplay. ( (i first started playing when Return of Them finished and the eye of the storm update came out).

While I still stand by my initial assessment that this update feels more punishing than rewarding, I hope I didn't discourage the devs from carrying out their plans. I do think that it's important to let players have more context as to what's going on so they dont write this update off in the same way I initially did. Again, not a particularly strong reason to interact with the new content now but the potential is there.

Archived