Tedium in the beta

I rather like most of the stuff in beta conceptually at least. I think the armor should have at least 90% protection, or a worthwhile secondary effect. Its competing with the cost of making three football helms and losing badly.

but aside from that its all interesting, but theres three distinct problems with all of the gear: its tedious to obtain, its random nature, and how frustrating the actual gathering process is.

problem n1: the gathering of moonplants are aggravating at best. It may just be personal taste, but 1000 health with damage resistance (planer or otherwise) is incredibly tedious to deal with, especially since multiple are required per craft. They just take too long to fight enough to craft anything worthwhile especially considering how easy it is to obtain comparable equipment. 

my recommendation is that the health of the plants be halved (to allow single phasing), but their damage improved considerably, 50% or more. The vines health could also be increased to 300 to punish failing to single phase it. (Sorry wes mains).   The main purpose for this is to make the plants quicker to harvest while maintaining a challenge, especially in groups. 

problem n1 PART 2: the mineables are similarly frustrating to gather, but i’ll keep this short: i think they should be attracted to infused moonglass and “eat” it if they find it. Possibly spawning another grazer if they eat enough of the stuff. 

Problem n2: the random and destructive nature of the portal.

the portal is simultaneously unstoppable, random, and appears anywhere. This means that for megabases, it is an absolute nightmare that WILL EVENTUALLY destroy large chunks out of their beautifully manicured bases. And when it does this they will have to wait until it is finished to repair the damages. This is… very aggravating for the longterm players who would see the most benefit from this post endgame content. 

my solution(s):

it is unable to spawn within x tiles of a player made structure

it can be “locked in place” preventing it from despawning (and subsequently respawning in your walls) , and unlocking a final largest state that only exists when its locked down. Obviously we’d need some way to do that so post CC, using materials gained from the event.

(Stolen from HeatAndRun) a lunar lightning rod (infused moonglass? No im not salty you are) that attracts the portal to a specific location preventing your base from being “struck” or instead allowing you to put it in a specific part of your base for a cool decoration. 

Any or all of those would be nice, i like my base in 1 piece thanks.

Final miscellaneous ideas

when worn by wormwood, the armor functions like a bramble husk. The plant already does it, lets give the plantboi a moon synergy. 

make the portal activate with moon storm by default but all improvements post CC.

We still really need to figure out something to save woodie from the moonstorm. Maybe give him some synergy too. He’s literally a werebeast who transforms on full moons.

enlightenment should play a bigger role outside of the moon. I sometimes completely forget its a thing, maybe enlightenment activates near the portal?

11 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

a worthwhile secondary effect.

You deal extra damage to nightmares when it's equipped. It might not be as essential now, but it might become very helpful in the future when the Pure Horror monsters become a thing.

16 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

This means that for megabases, it is an absolute nightmare that WILL EVENTUALLY destroy large chunks out of their beautifully manicured bases.

I want more survival content in the game. Therefore, I find it very frustrating that whenever new survival content is introduced, it faces the wall of backlash which can summarized as "but my megabase". DST still presents itself as a survival game, so the default settings should be balanced around survival. Every other play styles have world gen setting to cater to their needs. 

I agree with your points about the plant HP and lack of character synergies.

5 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

want more survival content in the game. Therefore, I find it very frustrating that whenever new survival content is introduced, it faces the wall of backlash which can summarized as "but my megabase". DST still presents itself as a survival game, so the default settings should be balanced around survival. Every other play styles have world gen setting to cater to their needs. 

It does present as a survival game, and i do love the challenge and would like more survival mechanics. However in my humble opinion, this event doesnt function as a survival mechanic, instead being a moving source of endgame loot with relatively challenging enemies guarding it. Which is fine, but theres no way to prevent it from damaging my base. I can use lightning rods for lightning, rain gear for water, armor for fights, but theres nothing preventing this thing from randomly takint a chunk out of a base. Thats not an interesting survival mechanic, thats just annoying. I WOULD prefer if updates got more survivaly, but for the update we do have, those are my notes

36 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

You deal extra damage to nightmares when it's equipped. It might not be as essential now, but it might become very helpful in the future when the Pure Horror monsters become a thing.

Pretty negligible and not really original. 

10 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Which is fine, but theres no way to prevent it from damaging my base.

It tries to spawn far from player-made structures. At least people who understand coding say so, 

12 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Thats not an interesting survival mechanic

It is something that may mess up your natural resources, so I still find it survivaly a little bit. They will probably add more rift types, so it's a good beginning. 

I might have sounded a bit too harsh but I'm just worried that such reactions might hold the devs back from adding more environmental dangers.

29 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

However in my humble opinion, this event doesnt function as a survival mechanic,

I've seen this take alot but how does attacking your resources not constitute a survival mechanic?

31 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Thats not an interesting survival mechanic

I disagree but I'll have to agree to disagree I guess. I see this as a new source of conflict on the island that's slowly overtaking your resources which I feel is very in line with a survival game and more of what I'd like to see rather than the passive stance the rest of the game takes.

13 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I've seen this take alot but how does attacking your resources not constitute a survival mechanic?

You can just stockpile before killing CC/Put your farms in the caves so all it does is ruin decoration, mostly.

Also if it attacked your resources in both shards I'd be even less inclined to kill CC, ever.
The biggest issue here IMO is that you're getting more bad than good out of killing CC. Other than that, environmental threats are fine when they're diverse and non-repetitive with a multitude of ways to counter them, but with these guys, all you can do is kill them periodically.

49 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

You can just stockpile before killing CC/Put your farms in the caves so all it does is ruin decoration, mostly.

I mean it forces you into the caves in this scenario which I'd say is quite a impact and even then this is the same thing people say about summer.

51 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

The biggest issue here IMO is that you're getting more bad than good out of killing CC. Other than that, environmental threats are fine when they're diverse and non-repetitive with a multitude of ways to counter them, but with these guys, all you can do is kill them periodically.

I'm not a mega baser so our opinions on this is going to differ fundamentally but I'd argue that things should have always been like this rather than making major changes to the world with zero consequences as it's always been infact the entire reward situation even being a problem because early content is too rewarding to begin with boxing kiel in with what they can really offer us without further trivializing survival. Should ruins gear, shadow gear, and pig gear have ever been so easily accessible? Personally I feel the answer is no.

Archived