Some issues since the update

So me and the wife (split screen) have only played once since the update for a few hours last night, so this stuff might be a one off, but we had a couple issues. Nothing game breaking but-

Sections of the map (both in map and in the actual world) had either incorrect turf displayed or water showing where it shouldn't be. I know this has been an ongoing issue, but last night was by far the worst I've ever seen it. There was roughly 10 large spots in the ocean showing turf/land when it should have been open water, and about another 10 large spots on land showing either incorrect turf or water where it shouldn't be.

The ocean stuff didn't effect us last night because we weren't sailing, and the incorrect turf on land is easily fixed with a pitchfork. The water showing on land is a bit of a different story because it can't be pitchforked. We've had 2 versions of this issue, 1 where you can walk on the water, and 1 where you can't (I can't remember if you can pitchfork the water you can walk on to fix it, but last night we weren't able to walk on the water).

It wasn't a huge deal last night, we didn't lose access to anything, but we have been cut off completely from sections of the map before due to this. Of course generally we can back out and reload to fix everything. But as I said, last night this issue was the most prevalent I've ever seen.

The next issue was a bit more impactful. We headed down to the caves, and over the course of about 10 minutes or so, roughly 30 to 50 percent of my attempts to gather lightbulbs/grass failed. I would click (press X, whatever) on a lightbulb plant/grass tuft, my character would begin the gather animation, it would be carried out a bit longer than normal, then it would just stop with nothing gathered and I would need to trigger it again. This kept happening back to back to back. Definitely a much bigger issue than the first.

Again, this was our first run since the update, we only played for a few hours, and this is split screen PS4.

On a separate note, another issue that we have had forever that I've just not brought up-

When we are both out sailing on the same boat, for whatever reason when my wife (first player on split screen) attempts to raise an anchor it immediately cancels and the anchor falls back down. It usually happens a good 5-6 times before the anchor can be successfully raised. For whatever reason I (second player on split screen) can always raise the anchor no problem on my first attempt. Not a huge deal, just a bit weird.

Edit #1: I also forgot to mention another long standing issue that I'm guessing only effects split screen (I could be wrong). Rowing with an oar as the second player always ends up glitching out fairly quickly. After a few successful oar actions the animation begins to take just a bit longer to complete (there's a little pause at the end), the sound effect stops playing, and rowing stops actually having any effect. You need to step away from the edge of the boat, move back into position and start rowing again.

It varies with how long it takes to glitch out, but I'm comfortable saying I can't expect to row successfully more than 15 times in a row before it glitches out. Very regularly 3-5 successive rows is all you can get before having to step away from the edge of the boat and move back into position.

I'm sure a lot of this can be attributed to the PS4 having to basically run DST 2 times at the same time, and we've been working around the boat stuff for years now so it's kind of business as usual. The new issue with gathering is pretty painful though. I did experience the same thing again today while gathering mushrooms. I'll try and do some heavy gathering tonight to gauge whether it's a constant issue or a sometimes kind of thing.

Edit #2- So after some heavy gathering today I did not experience the failed gather issue. Tested with both lightbulbs and grass. This was on a different world than previously, so I'm not sure if it was an issue with the other world or just a random issue that popped up then fixed itself.

It is interesting to read about your problems cause mine are the same: i've been playing with my wife since covid in split-screen mode on ps4 pro without issues but latetly we came back after few months break and looks like we need another break from the game or something. Lags are huge even with new worlds, whenever 1 player enters / leaves caves the other freezes for few seconds yet the game goes on so if I leave when bats fly around 9 out of 10 times I die, darknes kills etc. Word display issues are the same - same place and where one of us see water the other see regular turf, I don't want to even think what happens when there are stress conditions like frog rain battle vs bees etc. I was enthusiastic about the changes with offline access to skins and heros but if we can't play fluently then pretty skins do not matter. Hope they bring some fixes 

Incorrect turf is definitely worse than it used to be, used to be fixable by disconnecting and reloading the world or simply rolling back, but it’s definitely worse than it used to be. I play solo with my gf/sister who play split screen together and this issue definitely happens more often splitscreen but it still happens to me playing on my own.

the delayed and failed gathering thing is really annoying but is not new to this update. Been happening for a while, most often in the caves. Not a split screen only issue.

same thing with the rowing. Been happening for a while. Also not a split screen only issue.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, Marcin86 said:

whenever 1 player enters / leaves caves the other freezes for few seconds yet the game goes on so if I leave when bats fly around 9 out of 10 times I die, darknes kills etc. 

I'm hoping this gets fixed down the line, but for the time being we've just been super vigilant about what we are doing when entering/exiting the caves (I don't leave the caves at night, or if I know I can make it out before dusk. My wife plays Wigfrid and generally has a Battle Helm equipped so she has more leeway with the issue overall).

It is a pain in the butt, however we have got used to it at this point and it's kinda business as usual (unfortunately).

I will say I've slipped up a couple times recently and left the caves before morning, but only ended up taking a bit of damage from the Batalisks. I don't know if something was tweaked or if it was just a fluke, but I certainly have been killed before.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, Marcin86 said:

I don't want to even think what happens when there are stress conditions like frog rain battle vs bees etc.

In our experience it seems that rain is currently what sets lag off more than anything, so of course by the time frog rain hits it's already lagging. We also see a bunch of lag when it is actively snowing as well. Our current map is just under 1700 days old and I have an area with 20 Beehives, probably a couple/few hundred flowers and somewhere between 50 to 100 Birchtrees crammed into a fairly small area (roughly a 5x5 screen area). This area doesn't seem to ever begin the lag, and it doesn't ever seem to make active lag worse.

Aside from rain and snow I have no clue what sets lag off anymore, and even rain and snow doesn't always set it off. It just seems to come and go at random. We had a map going around September/October of last year with base right by a Swamp. Whenever we'd harvest all the Reeds the area would lag until they grew back, we've not encountered that situation before or since.

Generally it used to be world clutter that set lag off and really nothing else that I could figure, back when split screen lag resulted in heavy rubber banding for the second player. Things are overall way better now (our 1700ish day world is about 3 or 4 years old and for a good while it was unplayable for me as the second player).

On 2/16/2023 at 7:28 PM, Vinja said:

the delayed and failed gathering thing is really annoying but is not new to this update. Been happening for a while, most often in the caves. Not a split screen only issue.

We've experienced it forever, but only here and there, only ever for the second player, and for us it happens up top just as much as in the caves (though our caves generally run consistently smoother than up top, even with massive basses and farms in place). Thankfully it was only really bad for us the one time I referenced in my post.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:28 PM, Vinja said:

same thing with the rowing. Been happening for a while. Also not a split screen only issue.

Yeah I think I mentioned it is a long standing issue, weirdly it again only effects the second player for us.

Weirdly enough the first player raising anchor issue seemed to disappear not long after I made this post. Not sure if there was some sort of stealth fix or what but this was a years long issue that is great to have resolved.

I'm hoping this coming year we'll see some cleanup of PS gameplay once the last rework is done, but even with the current issues things are way better than they used to be. I do hope cave load times are improved though, I think that is the biggest issue currently. I'd be interested to know whether it's an issue on PC as well.

Archived