Simplest Way to LAN DST [Linux]

Hey DST forums, hope you are going well.

I've done SteamCMD dedicated servers in other games, but since I'm just looking to save some lag, the built in Offline server feature would be fantastic.

Why is it that when creating a game my "Server Mode" remains "Online" and greyed out? I am of course selecting "Local Only" and research shows this option frees up "Server Mode" for other people https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/cant-select-lan-when-hosting-r1174/

Is this a bug? Are there other per-requisites that I'm missing? Coincidentally, I have DST Dedicated Server steam tool downloaded, but I assume that's unrelated?

Thank you for your help,

BFalcon

Afaik online vs offline just means if it's listed in the server listings, which doesn't affect lag/latency whatsoever.

What will/can affect latency is the route your traffic takes. To minimise this you could try connecting your client directly over your local network by opening the command console in the main menu on your client and type in:

c_connect("<ip adress>", <port>, "<password>")

Where you type in the local IP Adress of your server.

If this still gives you the same latency then it's just the normal lag you experience when you play DST on a server that is not your own client. This is normal, and, as of now, can't be avoided.

Archived