What are the system requirements for dedicated servers to run smoothly with 10-12 people?

Some time ago I set up dedicated servers on my PC. However, I noticed that even though for me and (usually) 1 more person game runs decently smooth (let's take possibility to consistently kite Dragonfly as mark of decently smooth connection), sometimes even with 2 people game starts to lag to the point of teleporting on screen, and for 3+ people my PC as host can't provide decent quality of in-game experience. So I was thinking about setting up dedicated server with Nodecraft, but then question arose: how much ram would be enough for 6-8 people playing regularly and up to 10-12 people in some moments potentially? Will 4, 6 or 8 GB of ram be enough? Are there other crucial criteria I should take into consideration?

I'm going to enable some mods, but it's going to be mostly vanilla experience. Mods are mostly going to reduce amount of junk in the world: "rots rot", "beefalo tamed no poop", "lazy furnace" (it allows to burn sea fishing rods and couple of other things that pile up) and such, and nothing additing extra biomes or huge groups of mobs is going to be enabled.

According to the wiki entry a DST server needs roughly 65Mbyte/player on top of the base- and OS usage.

My empty server with some light mods on linux with two shards runs at around 2.25Gb.

With 8 People that'd be 2.25+(8*0.065)=2.77 Gb RAM (Very rough baseline!)

With 12 People that'd be 2.25+(12*0.065)=3.03 Gb RAM (Very rough baseline!)

I'd guess for most cases 4Gb should be enough, though depending on the OS, amount of clutter of items, spread of players across the maps, etc it might be higher.

All in all it's hard to say. My guess would be that 4Gb should be enough, better would be something like 6Gb to have some headroom to spare if you want to avoid slowdowns due to running out of RAM and forcing the System to swap on the disk.

With 12 People that'd be 2.25+(12*0.065)=3.03 Gb RAM (Very rough baseline!)

It looks reasonable, although I question if it's still accurate after all those updates over years. My own PC has 8 RAM, I didn't run any side processes aside from keeping some pages in google chrom opened, I checked usage of RAM during gameplay - and lagging or not it was around 2.5 Gb. I wonder what could prevent game from using all that potential, especially considering the fact that I followed the rules of cybersecurity thoroughtly and Windows Defendor didn't track any problems (I'm using Windows 11, by the way).

So either something fishy indeed "ate" my RAM, or game requires much more RAM now and wiki is not accurate.

So something fishy indeed "ate" my RAM

I'm using Windows 11

All jokes aside, Windows (especially the ones after 7) are infamous for using a lot of RAM, and the RAM you don't see being used in your task manager, yet still being occupied, is used by Windows itself. (Ofc Microsoft doesn't want their OS to be the biggest RAM hog in the entire system, so they hide that :eagerness: .)

Windows (10) usually starts out using at least 2-4 Gb of RAM usage after a fresh boot in my xp. This increases as time goes on. At the time of writing this my System (W10) uses around 9 Gb of a total usage of 15.2Gb (I have a total capacity of 32Gb).n The rest is used by Firefox, Discord and the other usual Programs (mostly Firefox tho). I have no idea about Windows 11, but I highly doubt that Windows 11 uses any less RAM than Windows 10.

This usually isn't too much of a problem, since Windows can just swap out some of that data to your C: Drive, that is stored in your ram, as long as you don't do any too heavy RAM intensive tasks.

My Linux server (CentOS) on the other hand consistently (doesn't increase over time) uses around 167 Mb of RAM, which is considerably less than any modern Windows, which is why I specificially mentioned a Linux Server.

This is also the Reason why most servers are running on Linux, and even Microsoft uses Linux as a base for their Azure cloud platform. :-P

Archived