Need some advice on making a world generation mod

I’m not sure if this has been asked before, but I’m trying to make a slight change to the way worlds generate and I’m not exactly sure where to go next. A lot of the time, worlds generate with a lot of thin land bridges, separated by small sections of water like this (not the greatest picture, but it’s the best I have atm):

C212814B-C23E-4A65-90C9-5F58A561B69D.jpeg.f92b0019497a3273da383dde7d2b6311.jpeg

It tends to ruin spots that would otherwise be great places for base building. My question is, is it possible to modify the world generation in such a way that minimizes these small bridges and fills the gaps, making a more “solid” map? Ideally I’d like to consistently get maps that look more like this:

46BF03B9-BF90-4D79-9F94-28A71B0D9116.thumb.jpeg.6ed0c993c6a5203fd8272642bfe452cc.jpeg

Notice how in the second image, there are no bridges or breaks in the land, it’s just one solid landmass. 

Does anyone with experience modifying the world generation files know where I would even look to achieve something like this? Usually I’m able to make simple changes to world generation by modifying forest_map.lua and tasks/forest.lua, but I can’t seem to find anything that affects the way rooms overlap and connect to each other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by SpoonyBardIV