Can't connect to server when using public ip

I have been running a dedicated server on my old laptop, but it's not unable to function anymore, so I have copied all files to a new computer, after installing steamcmd I can sucessfully start a server on the new computer and I can see it in the "browse games"-list. When I try to connect to it I get this error message "The server is not responding. Please try again."

[00:12:57]: [Connect] Sending ping(s)...
[00:12:57]: [Connect] DirectConnect Ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX|10999
[00:12:57]: [Connect] Ping response from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX|10999
[00:12:57]: [Connect] Joining server from ping response (silent)...
[00:12:57]: [Connect] PendingConnectionDoConnect to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX|10999
[00:12:57]: [Connect] DirectConnect to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX|10999
[00:13:07]: [Connect] PendingConnection::Reset(true)
[00:13:07]: Disconnect reason: ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED from network layer
[00:13:07]: PushNetworkDisconnectEvent With Reason: "ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED", reset: true

It seems to be going through my public ip. 
So I tried manually connecting to the server with the command 

c_connect("127.0.0.1", 10999, "password")

and I'm able to connect. (Also works with the actual local ip adress) So the server itself seems to be up and running, but something is blocking the connection when it comes through the public IP.  Similarly, other people in the local network can't connect via the browse games but can connect if they connect via "join friends game" through steam.

I've allowed dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64.exe as an exception through windows firewall, but it doesn't seem to help either.

51 minutes ago, iwillcry said:

and I'm able to connect. (Also works with the actual local ip adress) So the server itself seems to be up and running, but something is blocking the connection when it comes through the public IP.  Similarly, other people in the local network can't connect via the browse games but can connect if they connect via "join friends game" through steam.

I've allowed dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64.exe as an exception through windows firewall, but it doesn't seem to help either.

This tells me you don't have port forwarding going through and needs Valve's passthrough connections to work.

[00:00:22]:   ShardName: [SHDMASTER]
[00:00:22]:   ShardID: 1
[00:00:22]:   ShardRole: MASTER
[00:00:22]:   MasterHost: (null)
[00:00:22]:   MasterBind: 127.0.0.1
[00:00:22]:   MasterPort: 10889

Both port 10999 and 10889 are allowed through on this current computer.

image.png.9418e6d8fb03d80dd4f267fed117df2e.png
So as far as I can tell it's not that, but I might be mistaken. 

18 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Valve's passthrough connections

I can't really find any information about what this is, could you elaborate?

1 hour ago, iwillcry said:

[00:00:22]:   ShardName: [SHDMASTER]
[00:00:22]:   ShardID: 1
[00:00:22]:   ShardRole: MASTER
[00:00:22]:   MasterHost: (null)
[00:00:22]:   MasterBind: 127.0.0.1
[00:00:22]:   MasterPort: 10889

Both port 10999 and 10889 are allowed through on this current computer.

image.png.9418e6d8fb03d80dd4f267fed117df2e.png
So as far as I can tell it's not that, but I might be mistaken. 

I can't really find any information about what this is, could you elaborate?

Double check that the computer that's hosting is really on the .100 address and not .101+.  There's been an increase in carrier-grade NAT which will break self hosting on IPv4, you'd have to check with your ISP if that's the case from wherever you're at; if you do have this then you'll only be able to host through Valve's layers as your port forwarding will do nothing.

Valve's networking accepts connections on both ends so both sides think they're clients, in short.  Thus no port forwarding is needed for that sort of connection, you can read up on Valve stuff at: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/multiplayer/networking .

Archived