I think you are asking how much lead (thermal mass) is required so that the magma turns directly into debris, instead of accumulating in sufficient depth to form igneous rock tiles.

Suppose the eruption produces 16t of igneous rock (easily calculated from the volcano statistics), and that it needs to be reduced in temperature by 330 C to solidify. Magma has 7.8x as much heat capacity as Lead, so if you wanted the Lead temperature change to also be 330 C, you would need 7.8x as much, or 124 t. If you accept an 660 C increase in temperature of the lead, then 68 t would be enough. Lead accumulates to roughly 10 t per tile, it's not hard to figure how wide the lead bath needs to be.

There is another (better) alternative that is using Steam as Thermal Mass. Steam has 32x the thermal mass as Lead, so 1t of Steam can substitute for 32t of Lead. There are many ways to use Steam in a build, including flooding the Volcano chamber with steam, or putting the Steam behind a Diamond Tile wall with Tempshift Plates used to transfer the heat into the steam chamber, allowing the Volcano room to stay in vacuum for the ease of using non-thermium conveyor equipment.

9 hours ago, blakemw said:

I think you are asking how much lead (thermal mass) is required so that the magma turns directly into debris, instead of accumulating in sufficient depth to form igneous rock tiles.

Suppose the eruption produces 16t of igneous rock (easily calculated from the volcano statistics), and that it needs to be reduced in temperature by 330 C to solidify. Magma has 7.8x as much heat capacity as Lead, so if you wanted the Lead temperature change to also be 330 C, you would need 7.8x as much, or 124 t. If you accept an 660 C increase in temperature of the lead, then 68 t would be enough. Lead accumulates to roughly 10 t per tile, it's not hard to figure how wide the lead bath needs to be.

There is another (better) alternative that is using Steam as Thermal Mass. Steam has 32x the thermal mass as Lead, so 1t of Steam can substitute for 32t of Lead. There are many ways to use Steam in a build, including flooding the Volcano chamber with steam, or putting the Steam behind a Diamond Tile wall with Tempshift Plates used to transfer the heat into the steam chamber, allowing the Volcano room to stay in vacuum for the ease of using non-thermium conveyor equipment.

thanks for the answer! Do you have a YouTube channel?
To see the construction scheme

So here's a build I use with doors for heat transfer - I have seen it on youtube first from Lifegrow. There are smaller builds with mesh tiles but I consider them exploity so I am not doing that.

This build reliably solidifies the magma to igneous rock debris. I use the first 800C of that debris to "power" a petroleum boiler, the rest gets used until 160C in a regular steam chamber and it finally feeds a couple of stone hatches. The volcano in that example produces an average of 600kg of igneous rock per cycle, the build can easily process several tons of magma per cycle - I also used it to solidify all magma from the inverted asteroid. I like to use it that way because the debris can be shipped elsewhere for heat extraction.

Full overview of the industrial brick:image.thumb.png.2f686ede8677e0f02de8a4eaa649f9b5.png

Volcano in the middle, petroleum boiler beneath, power plant to the right, on the left you can see molten slicksters and the hatch farm. I am not claiming this is the best setup but that's anyway what I ended up with. The steam chamber beneath the Volcano is used for solidifying. It should have been combined with the powerplant, but given the myriads of stuff (oil wells and that teleporter) I didn't find a better way to place it.

That petroleum boiler - I am not going to cover it - is a little bit too efficient (although oil is only at 373C before boiling), I may have to shorten it to use up more heat, but it's obviously better to err on the up side here.

image.thumb.png.2b207d5c0dfeed7fe385d90114fd32f5.png

The Volcano tamer

I will start showing the relevant overlays, followed by some notes and failure modes I am aware of.

image.thumb.png.adae90650b72d152cc7688140fcdbfc8.png

The full build is in Vacuum.

Building materieals are either steel, diamond (you can replace diamond by steel) or Ceramic. Probably Obsidian can be used to replace Ceramic. Obsidian heats up a lot, in that case the build (Especially the top side) must not touch any athmosphere. The length of the build is significant I believe to avoid having too much magma in the chamber (which would form tiles). I do not remember what purpose the mesh tiles before the doors serve, maybe these are not needed.

Let me quickly show you the different views.

Materials view:

image.png.a0ca9774ff74499811cc8668d80ccda6.pngimage.png.091b5601697b11b82eb832dce0d7ac5f.png

Plumbing view:

image.png.3c06c9dcd704dd9b1665f2a344f0efda.png

Liquid view:

image.png.96dd71f554e0b1f816b490bbb79cf594.png

Heat view

image.thumb.png.08ac76d8a9296861f3c6e2070f7dc6d4.png

Shipping (also shows part of the heat extraction for solidfying) - note that this is not really well done, the bridge for adding rock to the inner loop should be much closer to the inner bridge after the shut off.

image.thumb.png.83c5bd660bbf5b379ef043df3b59dfb1.png

Automation

image.thumb.png.16dde2b5af6ec2fbbe95caa8538d0429.png

Notes and failure modes (I am aware of)

• Whatever you do, do not let your dupes touch the rock until it's 160C or less. They will ruin liquid locks, get scalded, etc. and if used for builds the heat is just gone
  • The igneous rock must not remain in the solidifying chamber (that's the diamond part) because it otherwise will melt again at some point. That's what the dispenser is used for. Do not replace the dispenser with a conveyor loader unless that loader is connected to a dropper.
  • The placement and directions of the lower sweeper/conveyor loader is significant (I believe). I have had a failure because I had a brownout while the lower sweeper was loading 80kg 1380C igneous rock. That promptly fell on the petroleum used for the conveyor loader cooling - let's say it had reload triggering consequences. Maybe it's still not totally safe but I haven't had a problem since.
  • What liquids you use is not important, although I recommend petroleum or naphta because of the additional mass.
  • It could be useful to move the upper sweeper on the left side, i.e. closer to the Volcano, to avoid above scenario. I haven't tried it and mabye there it cannot "see" all possible solidifying areas though (which is far more important).
  • I tend to overbuild tempshift plates, possibly they are not needed here
  • The placement of the lower door to move the heat (aka heat spike) into the steam chamber is not important as long as it touches the diamond (or steel) tiles.
  • If you need to pipe things around the heat spike, try to alternate doors and tiles with (steel/diamond) tempshift plates and keep those in vaccum.
  • Anytime your vacuum breaks it's game over you are up for an interesting ride.
  • It should be safe for safe game loading, I have had debris once in the lower sweeper which ruined the save as during save game load it fell on the petroleum beneath. To avoid that the lower sweeper could be built similarly to the upper sweeper with the cooling spot facing away from the conveyor loader. It only happened to me once hence I accept that ri.
  • Stuff on rails is still considered debris and will exchange heat not only with tiles railed through but also tiles beneath the rail. This can melt things if you are not careful. More details here:

Archived