Would you suggest reading "programming with lua" to start modding?

I'm currently dwealing with my first character mod and with my first experience with Lua over all, i'm reading the pdf but i stop from time to time to look into the forum and try and work with the mod, but i feel like i'm not improving, and i want to know if reading the whole thing would help me

absolutely not.

What you should do is grab simple mods from the workshop, read their .lua files and check how they did stuff and try to mimic similar things.

Fill in the rest with questions you can ask here

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Well-met said:

absolutely not.

What you should do is grab simple mods from the workshop, read their .lua files and check how they did stuff and try to mimic similar things.

Fill in the rest with questions you can ask here

yeah heard that a lot, but also saw some telling to study lua, guess i was just stubborn, but thanks

I say you don't need to read the whole thing, but having a basic understanding of lua syntax is a boon.

Understanding basic stuff like how data is handled in variables local/global scope, tables, and conditional statements/loops is pretty much the heart of .lua.

If you have former coding experience learning this stuff is relatively easy, if not its not  terribly difficult and other mod examples can show you how to get started.

Having a good text editor like notepad++ is a huge boon as well as it shows all the keywords highlighted as well if you are missing closing brackets or ends.

I do second @Well-met that its better to learn from others mods first as its good experience.

Edited by IronHunter