Add these things because they are great and will make griefing less effective

Locks and keys: Locks and keys would be crafted with an alchemy engine using solely gold nuggets. They would simply work like this... players can craft locks and lock anything which is a container or a (hamlet) house, once locked the player must open the things they locked with a key which they can craft with gold. Any keys they craft will open any lock they place on anything, players can also give their keys to other players then other players can interact with the original player's locked stuff too.

Basically, a player can keep their stuff safe and give permission to only players they trust to interact with their containers or enter their (hamlet) house.

Stuff which are locked always stay locked and using a key on them doesn't "unlock" them it just allows for interacting with the locked objects such as opening the containers or entering the house. Players which originally placed a lock on something would be able to right-click on the lock to disassemble it which drops the lock on the ground.

Locks could be hammered if PvP is enabled with the same amount of hits a stagehand requires.

There should be a world setting option to allow irreplaceable items to be placed in locked containers, but by default the option would be off so players can't lock away irreplaceable items.

Hamlet Houses: Hamlet houses would provide a small personal place for players which would be great and it's one of the best things ever added to Don't Starve and it's a huge shame with Don't Starve Together being the better version of Don't Starve to not have one of the best things from Don't Starve.

Also, think about the skin potential with houses Klei! It would basically be a money printer! You know you want that sweet, sweet skin money Klei! Add houses, add houses!

There should be a world setting option to allow irreplaceable items to be taken in houses, but by default the option would be off so players can't lock away irreplaceable items.

Clockwork Butler/Guardian/Something: This would be a new type of mob which could be crafted, the crafting recipe could be expensive even using thulecite or something else hard to get. Basically, it would be clockwork which when crafted the player gets an item which then the item can be placed down to transform into the mob and the owner if the mob can right-click it to transform it back into item state for moving it somewhere else.

This clockwork anti-griefer basically would patrol a certain radius around the place the owner placed it and it would basically only be useful for fighting griefers. It would put out unsafe fires started by players which aren't its owner, it will attack players which work structures which its owner built, it will restore burnt structures back to their unburnt states, and basically it would do stuff like that to prevent its owner's base from being griefed.

They'd also be pretty strong so some Wigfrid or something which just started out on a server wouldn't be able to take one down immediately then the owner of a base can have some sort of relief that their base would be safe with this clockwork base protector.

I think with stuff like this it would not only make the game more fun, but it would also make griefing less rewarding for griefers since other players would now have ways to avoid being griefed unlike now.

Great idea for RP servers :) chest keys will be great instead or using private mod | and some sort of base defenders :D

like for you ))  also would be cool to see wooden crossbow turret for base defence 

but hammering lock like with stagehand - is a bit dissbalanced )) maybe 6-8 hits for it?

On 7/27/2022 at 2:33 PM, . . . said:

Hamlet Houses: Hamlet houses would provide a small personal place for players which would be great and it's one of the best things ever added to Don't Starve and it's a huge shame with Don't Starve Together being the better version of Don't Starve to not have one of the best things from Don't Starve.

they really should, I like the mod sweet houses...but it's lacking that don't starve quality to it, and has content from plants vs. zombies and doctor who.

as for the locks/safes, I think chests that work like ender chests from minecraft would be better, a few items that belong to you can be stored inside that no one else has access to, and if they do try to access it, they can store personal items in as well, but can't see your items, and the items continue to exist even if the chest is griefed. If someone makes a new chest, the items are still inside...

I feel like some of these anti-griefer ideas are just a bit unfriendly, and would exclude anyone joining into a world... 

11 hours ago, Jinjetica said:

they really should, I like the mod sweet houses...but it's lacking that don't starve quality to it, and has content from plants vs. zombies and doctor who.

ya i wish the houses from hamlet was officially in dst

ender chests from minecraft would be better

i thought about this too and it is an interesting idea and would be worth to have too, but the only problem that i don't really see it as the single good solution compared to having that and locked chests is the "ender chest" you can only use 1 of it in an entire world and that means a measly 9 container slots which is practically nothing.

I feel like some of these anti-griefer ideas are just a bit unfriendly, and would exclude anyone joining into a world... 

Which one specifically? imo they are all as friendly as can be.. the only unfriendly one is maybe the clockwork guard and that would only be unfriendly to griefers lol

the idea behind the lock and key is to stop anyone from accessing you items in your chests, this would make sense in a game world where you assume everyone will be griefing you, or where you do not want to deal with other people... however this would make it more difficult for others to contribute to bases as well, it's a bit of a double edged sword. Needing to lock every chest to keep everyone out of them seems excessive to me, but maybe I am ignorant. I would likely put items that I don't trust strangers with in a personal chest, or that I personally worked for, like the starcaller staff/mooncaller staff, pig skin, mandrakes, etc... there aren't too many things I would be concerned about someone taking.

ya, i get what you're saying. i guess maybe locks could be expensive to craft instead of easy then a player can't easily put locks on all their chests.

i just would like locks also not just against griefing though i have a lot of bad experiences with public lobbies is that noobies will join and get to my base then take a bunch of items i collected and play for like 1-3 days and run off somewhere in the world then dc and i will never find those items again :/

an ender chest and way to protect your normal chests from other players would be great option to have to prevent just about anybody taking stuff you could've spent hours gathering only to lose a lot of it or all of it in a few minutes

Archived