To Klei, please make Wonkey more mod-friendly

Hello Klei,

I've got a problem. My character has component variables that save/load a pretty essential part of her kit, which is gained as you use her perks over time (as in, unlockables). When recovering from Wonkey, the custom component is reset, including saved variables. You might understand this is problematic for something that is in essence unavoidable.

When looking in the code, the methods for saving/rerolling character stats before and after Wonkey are as follows (in player_common.lua):

Spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--V2C: Used by multiplayer_portal_moon for saving certain character traits
--     when rerolling a new character.
local function SaveForReroll(inst)
    --NOTE: ignoring returned refs, should be ok

local curses = {}
    --dumptable(inst.components.inventory.itemslots)
    inst.components.inventory:ForEachItem(function(thing)
        --print("thing",thing.prefab)
        if thing.components.curseditem then
            if not curses[thing.prefab] then
                curses[thing.prefab] = 0
            end
            curses[thing.prefab] = curses[thing.prefab] + (thing.components.stackable and thing.components.stackable:StackSize() or 1 )
            thing:Remove()
        end
    end)

local data =
    {
        age = inst.components.age ~= nil and inst.components.age:OnSave() or nil,
        builder = inst.components.builder ~= nil and inst.components.builder:OnSave() or nil,
        petleash = inst.components.petleash ~= nil and inst.components.petleash:OnSave() or nil,
        maps = inst.player_classified ~= nil and inst.player_classified.MapExplorer ~= nil and inst.player_classified.MapExplorer:RecordAllMaps() or nil,
		seamlessplayerswapper = inst.components.seamlessplayerswapper ~= nil and inst.components.seamlessplayerswapper:OnSave() or nil,
        curses = curses,
    }
    return next(data) ~= nil and data or nil
end

local function LoadForReroll(inst, data)
    --print("LOADING FOR REROLL")
    if data.age ~= nil and inst.components.age ~= nil then
        inst.components.age:OnLoad(data.age)
    end
    if data.builder ~= nil and inst.components.builder ~= nil then
        inst.components.builder:OnLoad(data.builder)
    end
    if data.petleash ~= nil and inst.components.petleash ~= nil then
        inst.components.petleash:OnLoad(data.petleash)
    end
    if data.maps ~= nil and inst.player_classified ~= nil and inst.player_classified.MapExplorer ~= nil then
        inst.player_classified.MapExplorer:LearnAllMaps(data.maps)
    end
	if data.seamlessplayerswapper ~= nil and inst.components.seamlessplayerswapper ~= nil then
        inst.components.seamlessplayerswapper:OnLoad(data.seamlessplayerswapper)
	end

if data.curses then
        for curse,num in pairs(data.curses)do
            for i=1,num do
                local item = SpawnPrefab(curse)
                inst.components.inventory:GiveItem(item)
            end
        end
    end
end

Unfortunately, these aren't done very dynamically. With help of the lovely people at the Klei Discord I have tried adding my component to these methods using a PlayerPostInit, however, while SaveForReroll gets modified perfectly, LoadForReroll seems to discard/ignore the extra data. Regardless, even if this did work perfectly, it is obviously a band-aid, which brings me to the title of the topic.

Instead of having them hardcoded as they are, would it be possible to have SaveForReroll loop over all the components and call a new OnSaveForReroll() function on each of them (and of course modify LoadForReroll to accommodate the change)? That way, mods can adjust their behaviour to the new mechanic, and more importantly, data won't be lost.

I hope you guys think about it.

Edited by Lillyth
  • Like 4