Personal thoughts on the Wicker Refresh

I already was a Wicker fan and overall I'm happy that she gets so many new tools. Keep up the good work Klei. I'd like to see some changes to some of the books tho as some could be better or more unique.

The Lunar Grimoire is accessible very early and also simpler to craft than the Lux Aeterna. Changing the recipe to something more mid-game would probably help.

It would most often outclass the Light Books on long night seasons especially. It does cost a lot more sanity to upkeep, -50 sanity each night as opposed to -33 sanity every other night, so maybe it's fine, but I wish the Light books would have a secondary effect.

Maybe Sanity regeneration or something more unique like maybe warding off shadow creatures since it seems to be based on that one Maxwell comic image where he uses a burst of lightning. He also says "Taking some inspiration from the Codex, are we? I'm flattered." when examining the Lux Aeterna.
The new downside of instantly summoning nightmare creatures when reading at low sanity can get annoying when I just want to farm resources in peace so having an option earlier than the Bone Helmet would be nice. You could do most of your farming on the Lunar Island but for farms already set up that seems annoying.

Horticulture Exapnded does not seem to do anything special for non Farm plants, costing more sanity while having 3 uses for 15 grows as opposed to 5 uses for 10 grows. Abridged just seems like the better option for mass farming things like Stone Bushes due to the slightly more grows.
Maybe Expanded could get more uses, or it could advance growth by 2 stages, or fertilize the plants, or maybe just not work on non farm plants but that might be confusing. 

The Everything Encyclopedia is a niche but fine little book. I'd like an upgraded version to allow us to craft Lunar/Ruins stuff similiar to the Brain of Thought in Shipwrecked. I don't think it would be too advantageous and as long as mass crafting those items at their respective crafting station is still better than doing so with the book it'd be nice.

Overcoming Arachnophobia just needs a slowdown radius that fits it's visuals better and last a lot longer.

Also the sentiment that Wicker will become a switch character for Maxwell is worrying hopefully something could be done about it.

2 minutes ago, DontStarvinge said:

but I wish the Light books would have a secondary effect.

They provide natural light for farm plants which allows them to grow through the night and in the deepest parts of the caves. Theyre basically mini star caller stars with the added bonus of not effecting ur temperature at all or setting stuff on fire. Which makes them really useful in certain situations where the major temp swings near both hot and cold stars are undesirable. 

The lux books are definitely distinguished enough from the grimoire in terms of different functions that dont overlap. Grimoire just needs to be made more expensive. 

5 minutes ago, DontStarvinge said:

The new downside of instantly summoning nightmare creatures when reading at low sanity can get annoying when I just want to farm resources in peace

Im afraid thats the point :lol:

6 minutes ago, DontStarvinge said:

Horticulture Exapnded does not seem to do anything special for non Farm plants, costing more sanity while having 3 uses for 15 grows as opposed to 5 uses for 10 grows. Abridged just seems like the better option for mass farming things like Stone Bushes due to the slightly more grows.

definitely agree. At the very least i think H. Expanded should be able to fully grow stonefruit/banana bushes with 1 read. Makes no sense for it to be as weak as Abridged in this regard.

7 minutes ago, DontStarvinge said:

The Everything Encyclopedia (..)an upgraded version to allow us to craft Lunar/Ruins stuff similiar to the Brain of Thought in Shipwrecked.

This would be awesome. Recipe could require both moon rocks and thulecite! 

also agree on the arachno book, it really needs bigger radius and longer duration. 

26 minutes ago, DontStarvinge said:

they both do 33 sanity damage upon reading, the only books with a higher sanity cost at 50, are: the one about the birds,the one about tentacles and the new one- the lunar grimoire

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

They provide natural light for farm plants which allows them to grow through the night and in the deepest parts of the caves. Theyre basically mini star caller stars with the added bonus of not effecting ur temperature at all or setting stuff on fire. Which makes them really useful in certain situations where the major temp swings near both hot and cold stars are undesirable. 

FBE28A06-BD43-4C1F-9866-C9307C860871.jpeg

3 hours ago, DontStarvinge said:

farm resources in peace so having an option earlier than the Bone Helmet would be nice.

Fooled around a bit more on the beta. Bernie works really excellently for this purpose. Cant believe i hadnt thought about it before! 

3 hours ago, DontStarvinge said:

or something more unique like maybe warding off shadow creatures

This would be really cool actually but perhaps invalidate her new downside too much? 

Perhaps the light could deal DoT to nightmares :lol:

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Fooled around a bit more on the beta. Bernie works really excellently for this purpose. Cant believe i hadnt thought about it before! 

Sadly noone considers Bernie despite him being so at keeping nightmares off you while your busy doing something else.

Archived