Toggle Between New and Old Crafting Table

As someone who uses Controller to play I find the new Crafting Menu more cumbersome and annoying to use, while the old one wasn't great with Keyboard and Mouse it was a lot smoother to use with controller. I just want to have the old menu as an option because no matter how much I try the new one I just don't enjoy using it at all.

They changed it once, I'd like to hope they get around to changing it again. I understand why it was necessary to change the crafting system layout and categories, but I think they can do even better with a system that reverts in some degree to the old system, while retaining the strengths of the new system, as well as adding greater strengths on top of that.

In particular, what I'd love to see is the old category based menu return, but have categories with many items also have subcategories, for example Turfs could be contained within the Refine or even Dress (turf is just dressing for the ground, after all!) category, and pressing up or down at the first item within a category can change the subcategory. Not sure I'm effectively describing what I'm seeing in my mind, but it seems to me that it would be effective and intuitive for controller and mouse/keyboard users alike. Just think the old interface, but with some/all main categories opening multiple individually selectable horizontal rows.

Another example, we could divide Tools into a few subcategories. The default subcategory would be Basic (axe, pickaxe, shovel, hoe), another would be Luxury, with the gold versions of the above tools, and an Other subcategory for less common/practical tools like the hammer, pitchfork, and razor. Just examples, I'm not dead set on any particular specific I've mentioned, but with an interface like this, there'd be no need to  worry about overstuffed categories or having too many crowding the side of the screen since the subcategories would branch off the basic categories.

Maaan... I fired up my Wii U to reference the old crafting categories, my first exposure to Don't Starve, and it was SOOO NICE hearing the full richness of the sound environment again. DST really needs an option to get that old audio back. I miss the game being so lively.

8 hours ago, ShadowbirdRH said:

what I'd love to see is the old category based menu return, but have categories with many items also have subcategories, for example Turfs could be contained within the Refine or even Dress (turf is just dressing for the ground, after all!) category

That's a great way to make the nonsensical categorization of the old UI even worse.

Which is why I said I had no attachment to any of the specifics in my examples. It's not the specifics I'm calling for, it's the format. Exactly what goes where would be a matter for the developers ...unless they want to give us the option for a fully customizable interface.

Archived