I'm just starting to play around with rockets and have some basic questions.

1) When shipping materials between planets, why not just have a storage container in the capsule to collect what you want to ship and then dump it on the ground of the capsule?  Is there some drawback to this I'm not seeing? Sure, there is dupe labor to think about but I get to fine tune exactly what I want to ship. I can even disassemble the storage unit afterwards to make space for something else.

2) When you arrive at the 2nd planet (with all the materials on the floor of your capsule), can you just disassemble the whole thing to have the items fall to the floor?

3) If you have gas in pipes throughout your capsule what happens to them when you dismantle? What if there is a liquid reservoir in the capsule?

Appreciate any insight.

5 hours ago, Crapgame said:

I'm just starting to play around with rockets and have some basic questions.

1) When shipping materials between planets, why not just have a storage container in the capsule to collect what you want to ship and then dump it on the ground of the capsule?  Is there some drawback to this I'm not seeing? Sure, there is dupe labor to think about but I get to fine tune exactly what I want to ship. I can even disassemble the storage unit afterwards to make space for something else.

You can, especially since bins can accommodate 20T of stuff.

However one thing to be careful of is materials that aren't room-temperature. If you're loading hot igneous, obsidian, or metals, you might want to have it outside your dupes' living space. For those cases I tend to carry it in an Orbital Cargo Module, and just load it or unload it manually.

2) When you arrive at the 2nd planet (with all the materials on the floor of your capsule), can you just disassemble the whole thing to have the items fall to the floor?

3) If you have gas in pipes throughout your capsule what happens to them when you dismantle? What if there is a liquid reservoir in the capsule?

You could, as long as you don't mind losing all that construction time. :)

All the materials in the capsule should be recoverable, including pipes, storage, even the atmospheric gases.

Archived