Strange Suggestion

The sanity meter has been bothering me for a few months now. I feel like I'm being influenced by it, and being unable to create new styles of play. (Maybe even feeling anxious).

And I would like to ask you developers if you could, please add an option to hide not just the sanity meters. But also the hunger and health ones letting players choose what they want to see. It's not a joke.

Thanks for reading.

You want to be unable to see the meters of Health and Hunger?

They inform the player how is their situation and alert them when they are in danger of dying so the player can make decisions on whether risk or play it safe, they are supposed to influence how you play. That's pretty much the design of nearly every Survival game because otherwise you'd either be paranoid of whether you're in danger or unaware that you're close to dying, same goes for the Sanity meter.

23 hours ago, Just-guy said:

You want to be unable to see the meters of Health and Hunger?

They inform the player how is their situation and alert them when they are in danger of dying so the player can make decisions on whether risk or play it safe, they are supposed to influence how you play. That's pretty much the design of nearly every Survival game because otherwise you'd either be paranoid of whether you're in danger or unaware that you're close to dying, same goes for the Sanity meter.

No, I just want to hide sanity, but I don't think the other "meters" should be left out.

3 hours ago, Cursed Name said:

No, I just want to hide sanity, but I don't think the other "meters" should be left out.

Why do you want to hide the Sanity meter? You would be playing blindly without knowing how much Sanity you have, if it's the Shadow Creatures that annoy you you can turn them off in the World Menu.

3 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Why do you want to hide the Sanity meter? You would be playing blindly without knowing how much Sanity you have, if it's the Shadow Creatures that annoy you you can turn them off in the World Menu.

I don't want to turn them off, I really don't want to know how much sanity I have.

25 minutes ago, Cursed Name said:

I don't want to turn them off, I really don't want to know how much sanity I have.

Why? It sounds like it would be an awful experience trying to play unaware of your Sanity level.

As the insanity is audible and visibly perceptible I don't think it would be a problem for those who configure it that way.

Furthermore the intention is not to keep your sanity full or to see how much you lose when using magic.

It's a strange suggestion...

Thank you very much for your attention.

3 minutes ago, Cursed Name said:

Furthermore the intention is not to keep your sanity full or to see how much you lose when using magic.

It helps to know how much Sanity you have and to see how much you can use magic before not having enough or being insane, maybe you want to use the Telelocator Staff but for it you need 50 Sanity at least and the visuals are not always enough. It also helps to know when you're in a Insanity or Sanity aura quickly without having to wait for the screen to turn decolored or colored.

You'll just end up handicapping yourself by not seeing your Sanity amount.

8 hours ago, Just-guy said:

It helps to know how much Sanity you have and to see how much you can use magic before not having enough or being insane, maybe you want to use the Telelocator Staff but for it you need 50 Sanity at least and the visuals are not always enough. It also helps to know when you're in a Insanity or Sanity aura quickly without having to wait for the screen to turn decolored or colored.

You'll just end up handicapping yourself by not seeing your Sanity amount.

I want a terrible experience. I think it will be fun. I want to feel free!

I'd recommend you to learn how to mod or search for it on the Steam Workshop, because there's no real reason for it to be able to hide it, even if it was optional; the only reason you give is that you want to experience it.

Why don't you guys just let this thread die?

I already made it very clear in the title, Which is an unusual suggestion.

What did you expect?

@Just-guy If you don't agree. Ignore it. Don't be trying to argue, trying to prove something, don't try to criticize, making it fall to the ground, trying to invalidate!

You were very unpleasant. Now it's my turn.

I didn't put this topic in the wrong section so don't give me that link.

@Bumber64If your intention is to help, just don't drop a link in the middle of the conversation, as if it were a kind of "warning".

7 hours ago, Cursed Name said:

Why don't you guys just let this thread die?

I already made it very clear in the title, Which is an unusual suggestion.

What did you expect?

@Just-guy If you don't agree. Ignore it. Don't be trying to argue, trying to prove something, don't try to criticize, making it fall to the ground, trying to invalidate!

You were very unpleasant. Now it's my turn.

I didn't put this topic in the wrong section so don't give me that link.

@Bumber64If your intention is to help, just don't drop a link in the middle of the conversation, as if it were a kind of "warning".

I respect this

On 6/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Cursed Name said:

The sanity meter has been bothering me for a few months now. I feel like I'm being influenced by it, and being unable to create new styles of play. (Maybe even feeling anxious).

And I would like to ask you developers if you could, please add an option to hide not just the sanity meters. But also the hunger and health ones letting players choose what they want to see. It's not a joke.

Thanks for reading.

1.Buy tape

2.Put tape on stats

3.Profit(?)

why are you all mad? It wouldn't affect you unless you turned off the sanity meter, XD.... but ye, It might be interesting to play that way, there are already a ton of tells for sanity, and there are even some for hunger if you pay enough attention to it. There are plenty of people who like a challenge like this, right?

Since we're evidently not letting the thread die...

It's not worth Klei's time to add this over literally anything else they could add. Given how few people would ever use this, it's better suited to a mod. It would work as a client-side mod, so there's not even the excuse of playing on others' servers.

I think that in an hypothetical scenario where Klei had made sanity invisible since the beginning, we wouldn't ask for it to be visible. The game has many hints that let you know how much sanity you have. I think it's a good idea, but it's too late to be implemented.

If hunger was an invisible stat too, it should have more hints, like stomach rumbling sounds and idle animations. Some quotes could change when hungry, reflecting how desperate the characters are for food. 

For the health part, I don't know what to think. We need a way to know how much hp we have anyway. So turning the screen red or seeing blood on the screen wouldn't make it more challenging, just heal until the mid-health effects are gone (yes, you can say the same about the other stats too, but those are more interesting to experiment without seeing a bar).

But, if the idea of this post is to make them invisible with no hints just to make thr game "harder", I think Ellat's solution is pretty good.

Spoiler

This thread will live forever.

Archived