Timer Sensors should support 3 decimal (.xxx) precision

Using timer sensors on metal volcanos with cooling loop, (.xx) precision can have a gain/loss of several seconds per event.  Please increase precision to (.xxx) so that manual intervention is not required for automation to work properly for extended periods (over 20 cycles).

Thanks

I'm currently submerging metal volcanos for fast cooling without loss of mass.  I use an autosweeper to move mat'l to another coolant pool just prior to eruption to capture max heat in a cooling loop.  I've update my post for that distinction.

My work around is to use temperature hysteresis.

Stick a thermo sensor near volcano with filter and buffer in line (to avoid rapid switching), followed by a falling edge detector to detect when a thermo sensor transition from high to low.

When volcano erupts, it deposit things which cause thermo sensor to go high.

Once the steam turbine cools the metal back down, the falling edge detector detects that and enables the sweeper for 1 minute, which should be enough time to sweep everything (if not, you can just make it longer).

Having a high precision timer still doesn't get away from the fact that your system will go out of sync over time.

Good idea, just not feasible for early game use case.  Coolant temps will vary based on source and so final temp is "whatever" at 30s prior to eruption.  It's essentially my worst case scenario design for taming Al volcano early with no plastic and limited heat spread.

I've since refined the method and now use seconds mode of the timer with filtered AND gate, whereby I prime the timer at 15s active / 600s inactive and reset at 30s before eruption. When elapsed, I update the active time to (volcano cycle - 600s) and have the filter set 15s lower to open the door for sweeping. A second filter is required for the rare volcano cycles over 800s.

It's super annoying it still gets out of sync because cycles are not exact integer seconds (curse you, Klei :grin:).  But at least now I can let most volcanos run for their active period.

Archived