Delecta Vole dies before laying an egg

In the DLC there is no possibility to feed voles the exorbitant amounts of food required for breeding and now with the morphs my farms are no longer sustainable cause the delecta voles die before they can lay an egg at arround 80% reproduction. it seems they start with less calories then normal voles. 

please either give them more calories to survive without food or reduce the egg chance to 0 if they live in enviroments below 60 degrees

This original shove voles's calories can be considered a "Featured" error rather than a intended concept (much like starvation pacu) due to their need for closed/limited space (shove voles burying into tiles constantly and pacu's stuck in pools).

If they are gonna do something about it, I would presume the normal shove voles will be corrected to having tame shove voles will starve to death much like delecta voles (They are in testing after all)

i never liked shove voles cause they were too easy of a food source but i'm trying out the delecta voles on a sandbox map now.  so delecta voles start around 20,000 calories while the shove voles get around 42,000 calories, the one i tried ranching with dies at about 90% reproduction.  same amount of calories consumed per cycle as shove voles, so the starvation ranching appears to be targeted.  the biggest nerf seems to be to shove voles, now they always have 2% chance of laying a delecta vole egg which will die off in a starvation ranch.  this means that starvation ranching shove voles will slowly die out without increasing the herd

4800kg regolith/dirt/iron ore is quite tough to produce per cycle to regularly feed shove voles.  i always considered the diet was to limit expanding the herd or to use up the huge amount of regolith we got from meteors.  which in SO we don't have any reoccurring regolith other than on the one asteroid with meteors.  in this state, to me, delecta voles are not viable outside the one meteor bearing asteroid which requires quite a bit of infrastructure.  to me, the delecta voles falls into the vanity section for me along with gassy moos

i did get the thing to start growing tonic roots with some 76c dirt i magic'ed in.  so to get the tonic roots, i need to spend about 3000-3600kg of dirt a cycle, they spit out 50% consumed then dig it to get 25% back, which is annoyingly the same temperature as the vole.  they start at 20c so dirt is coming out at around 22c which will stifle more tonic root growth...  so 3000kg dirt for 8 tonic roots every 8 cycles while heating up the new dirt.  which is only used to make curried beans, this is 4 nosh beans plus 4 tonic roots for 5000kcal.  it honestly sounds right and is comparable to other foods plus it gives a buff.  problem is the price.  at least 3000kg dirt/regolith/iron ore is a lot outside of the one asteroid that gets meteors.  1 tonic root + 1 nosh bean = 1250kcal which means 1 tonic root is 650-750kcal so 1 shearing makes 5200-6500kcal.  that's still lower than a regular shove vole making 20,000kcal of barbecue for total calories produced.  they need to be sheared twice to be comparable for total calories

imo, delecta voles suck and are a nerf to shove voles which i never liked anyways.  even in a regular groom/fed ranch, the delecta voles would be seen as a disease in my eyes.  to be better, they either need to be sheared more often, diet changed, or more calories at birth for starvation ranching.  seeing as they set the calories low enough to only hit 90% reproduction, i assume it's intended.  they also need to up the body temp of the delecta voles imo, starting at 20c is annoying for the cold picky eater

A starvation vole ranch is probably still viable if you ranch pips along with it.  You could use automation to trigger a 6 day feeding cycle, which will produce a single extra egg, based on a weight plate where you're depositing dirt (28800 kg).  My back-of-the-envelop calculations say I'd need a ratio of a bit less than one pip per vole, which isn't bad at all, assuming you're feeding the pips on wild arbor trees.  I don't think you even need to tame the pips if you have enough wild ones available, you just need to make sure they always have food and don't get cramped.

Calculations:

A starvation ranched vole lifecycle, egg to egg, is about 30 cycles, assuming you don't incubate.  Since the chance of produceing a morph is 1 in 50,  a single vole "line" will die out, on average, in about 30*50=1500 cycles.  So you need to feed a vole, on average, for 6 cycles every 1500, producing an extra egg in that time.  That works out to 4800*6=28800 tons of dirt needed over 1500 cycles, or 19.2 kg/cycle.  Pips produce 20kg/cycle.

What if we feed voles only 1 kg dirt 20 times per cycle? They don't vomiting, after feeding they reset 10cycle death timer and still have +2% per cycle repro. They don't die until 100cycle and put 2 eggs. Which will cover 2% chance to drop delecta vole egg. Delecta vole egg moves to death chamber. shove voles will stay forever... only needs one wild tree + 1 wild pip.

Yeah semi-starvation ranching is probably the way to go.

Now thanks to the addition of the Conveyor Valve (a Conveyor Meter Valve, set to a small Amount and with a permanent green signal into the Reset port) critters can be fed morsels of food as small as 1 gram, so a 20 kg pip poop can provide 20,000 feedings. When abusing the Conveyor Valve you don't even really need to be smart about the feeding timings, but if you want to further reduce food requirements a conveyor chute array can simultaneously drop many morsels of food and so reduce the problem of a "greedy vole" always eating the morsel letting others starve.

2068348523_Screenshotfrom2022-06-1110-14-16.thumb.png.3d6cd8cdac25be0b7bfe71cba72bc640.png

FWIW I really really wish starvation ranching and semi-starvation ranching would be nerfed into oblivion and food requirements properly balanced.

edit: it seems that semi-starvation ranching doesn't permit Delecta Voles to grow their coats, but does of course let them lay an egg.

Archived