My bit of rocketing + question for pilots

I know there are pretty neat rocket designes all over forum, however I can't help myself to showcase you my finalized (i hope) designes for both one dupe (meant for mining space resources/exploring) and three dupes (work team deployment on unhabitated planetoids).

While using oxylite is very common, I just don't like logistic around it. Thats why all my rockets use gas container. Additionaly, I like to be able to refill said container without need to built Gas Rocket Port Loader, so my designs use cabin ports for input of oxygen in tank. Furthermore, to prevent my dupes from getting stranded inside rocket interior, I always have atmo suit ports = number of dupes + 1, while checkpoint is set to Vacancy only.

Also most of the time battery module is used. As I always use engine of height 5 (steam in early game, petroleum in mid and hydrogen at endgame), all my landing pads can have oxygen, water pipes and steel conductive wire at exact same place.

One dupe version (miner/researcher)

image.thumb.png.8e7314b10f2b63a6fbd14fe665e43650.png

Module does have great hall and washroom morale bonus, not enough space for barracks. However since they provide just +1 morale, i wasn't bothered by that.

Water is provided by pipes wiggled all over, provides about 144 flushing + washing hands.

image.thumb.png.b5ff6a5b46891973895533ad719ca724.png

Oxygen is taken from external output in gas container. Then another port takes it from container, filling interior first, then both atmo suits. What I like is ability to filter output, this way I can take only oxygen out of storage even when i use part of it for another gas (fuel for steam/hydrogen engine). Pump is working constantly. All gasses except oxygen then pass sensor (and vent) and get pumped out of cabin.

This cabin have telescope since I forgot to discover one tile of starmap, fortunately close to POI i want to mine. You can easily switch it up for Orbital Data Collection Lab and container with plastic. It's in fact the way I finished all research in my current game, by dupes bored while steering rocket to its destination.

Since there's always space occupied by gas pump, which needs to be separated from rooms, i was looking for practical use of this separed space. Thats reason while there's manual generator in the corner. While it's not needed most of the time, i like to let it there as backup.

BTW there are few plastic tiles because I wanted to reduce the amount of radiation exposure (as I am thinking of module as permanent home for pilot).

Three dupe version (work team deployment)

image.thumb.png.8fc270b016144b48aaeba258b0864441.png

Pretty similarly, module has great hall and washroom, this time with addition of barracks. There are even two spots with space for container. On this picture, one contains 50 reed fiber for suit repairs (external suit station needed), another one 900 kg of fertilizer (as cheapskate without enough power production on main asteroids it's mine oxidizer used on rockets).

Liquid pipes with water are again wiggled around whole module. As this time wash basin is switched to hand sanitizer, pipes again provide (more than) 144 cycles of flushing for 3 dupes.

image.thumb.png.7283863d77b885936c26dd5177eeb466.png

And again, oxygen is taken from outside, pumped inside cargo, then port filter only oxygen out of storage to fill the cabin and suits. Pump is working constantly, oxygen is reintroduced inside rocket, everything else is pumped out.

Sorry for long post, wanted to share my designs with you, since rockets are my passion in this game.

Question

I am interested, what do your dupes do while piloting rocket to some place? Since there's space in my solo rocket

image.png.f64f4ce9dd35a5e3c28e7009197b7444.png

where one day nor telescope nor research station would be, I am thinking of providing dupes with some less important job to do while they have spare time. Maybe production of drugs (as i tend to use rad pills a lot of lately, especially for work team members).

On 3/15/2022 at 9:23 PM, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

I am interested, what do your dupes do while piloting rocket to some place? Since there's space in my solo rocket

It's worth noting the Enclosed Telescope has +1 more range than the small telescope, which makes a huge difference to area scanned. You can fit an Enclosed Telescope in a Spacefarer and have a Great Hall and a little other stuff.

19 minutes ago, blakemw said:

It's worth noting the Enclosed Telescope has +1 more range than the small telescope, which makes a huge difference to area scanned. You can fit an Enclosed Telescope in a Spacefarer and have a Great Hall and a little other stuff.

Thanks, did not know that!

As Oxygen Options you have:

1. Oxylite

2. Gas Container

But there are at least two more:

3. Polluted Dirt via the Sublimation Station. May require CO2 removal or placement on the floor to erase CO2.

4. Water via Electrolyzer. With around 1t in pipes or a tank, this should work for shorter trips.

I usually use 2., I have done some early experiments with 3, but not looked at CO2 removal.

One note on 2.: If you place the vent directly above the floor, CO2 gets erased and you can do without gas removal.

9 minutes ago, NewWorldDan said:

Am I the only person who makes their dupes sleep on the floor? They don't need the morale of a bedroom, and by this point they all have 20 athletics, so the -1 penalty there is nothing. My rocket is all brute force.

Good idea, especially if you do not put in a bedroom anyways.

BTW, you can do away with the carbon skimmer if you put the oxy-vent on the lowest level.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:09 PM, NewWorldDan said:

Am I the only person who makes their dupes sleep on the floor? They don't need the morale of a bedroom, and by this point they all have 20 athletics, so the -1 penalty there is nothing. My rocket is all brute force.

rockets.png

I don't like that but ofc that's individual preference. I like to spam my dupes with luxury :-)

Your rocket would fit atmo suit workshop nicely, do you build it sometimes?

16 hours ago, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

I don't like that but ofc that's individual preference. I like to spam my dupes with luxury :-)

Your rocket would fit atmo suit workshop nicely, do you build it sometimes?

Nope. 

One thing I've discovered recently: dupes only heal while sleeping in a bed (or triage cot). There was an incident on the fire planet - while retrieving an artifact, my dupes opened a pocket of very hot sour gas. So they spent the whole long flight home badly injured. But we finally finished Cosmic Archeology. 

Archived