The Spicy Tofu Bunkhouse

So as i am currently doing a somewhat ridiculous challenge i needed a way for a large number of duplicants to somehow survive without geyser resources, with minimal player supervision, and with minimal framerate impact. And thus the Spicy Tofu Bunkhouse was born.

It houses, feeds and oxygenates 8 healthy happy duplicants, who are all expected to do their part to keep the friendly commune running. So long as the cook is skilled enough (11 cooking skill) or at least one of the dupes is flatulent, they can all eat delectably roasted spicy tofu forever, with the occasional side helping of drecko flambé. If they have neither a skilled chef nor a convenient source of authentically natural natural gas, there is still just enough plain tofu to go around until that chef levels up and stops wasting fire.

spicy_tofu_5.thumb.jpg.5c1a6ce3037bf92bee6c2c3f54303892.jpg

Once up and running, the hostel of spicyness requires no exterior input. It is fully self-contained.

It will output, on average, the following resources, given in values of kilograms per cycle:

• 30 kg/c water
  • 3 to 8 kg/c hydrogen, depending on electrolyzer use
  • 3 kg/c phosphorite
  • 2 to 48 kg/c fertilizer, depending on farmer skill
  • 0 to 1.35 kg/c natural gas, depending on chef skill
  • trace amounts of reed fiber, balm lily, pepper seeds, nosh beans, BBQ, egg shell.

Actual output each cycle will depend on the 18 cycle cycle of the forest's bounty. For ideal operation the 26 pip-planted arbor trees should be harvested at an even rate, but 5+ tonnes of integrated water storage will ensure the toilets keep flowing and the tofu press keeps going even if a harvest is late.

spicy_tofu_5_annotated.thumb.jpg.d2109d5c3518e7c15a84efda8276304a.jpg

The processes seem self-explanatory to me, but i may be a little biased having spent the last couple weeks designing and testing the thing.

Lumber is grown by wild arbor trees. This lumber gets turned to ethanol and polluted dirt by four ethanol distillers. Less than half of this ethanol goes to the nosh farm, and the majority is burned for power and polluted water.

The polluted dirt is preferentially composted into plain old dirt, which is used to produce fertilizer and to feed the nosh plants. When enough dirt has been produced, the doors under the compost heaps are opened, pausing production. The fertilizer synthesizer is run 100% of the time so as to produce just enough natural gas for a skilled chef to make spicy tofu. At low skill farmers will use most of this fertilizer, but highly skilled farmers will leave a significant surplus.

All remaining polluted dirt is sublimed using a sublimation station, which is the only part of this build that requires the DLC. If vanilla ONI had the sublimation station, this would be a vanilla build. If p-dirt offgassing wasn't nerfed quite so hard, i probably wouldn't even have used the sublimation station. However it was, and as gathering 5600 tonnes of p-dirt in 280 piles to offgas at the required rate is not even remotely feasible, the sublimation station is a necessity. After sublimation, the resulting polluted oxygen is directly condensed into liquid O₂. This provides between 550 and 660g/s of O₂ which is distributed directly to the habitat.

The aquatuner used for cooling the oxygen is also put to use boiling the polluted water, gathered both from ethanol production and from washroom use. After the necessary amounts are sent to the pincha pepper plants and fertilizer synthesizer, all remaining polluted water is boiled into clean water in the steam chamber. The nearby tepidizer (preferably submerged in liquid O₂ for superior thermal properties, but supercoolant also works) ensures that the boiling chamber remains hot at all times.

A small drecko farm provides enough phosphorite to feed the pepper plants and fertilizer synthesizer, with a little spare left over. It also provides reed fiber, crucial for repairing atmo suits if suit wear is enabled. Hatchlings are drowned for BBQ or released to maintain the requisite number of 1.8 dreckos.

A small heat exchanger cools both the nosh farm, and the living space if necessary. Hot water from the steam chamber is fed directly to the washroom, but cold O₂ from the condenser also exits there, so with a little pipe manipulation very little active heating or cooling is necessary. Hot ethanol from the distillers is used to maintain temperature in the drecko enclosure and pepper room.

spicy_tofu_5_plumbing.thumb.jpg.7ad665a8d7b70fd467d4c096e0ec7b16.jpg

Power use for the industrial area is mostly covered by the ethanol burner. Additional power is provided by hamsters peons beloved guests on demand. The 1+kg/s CO₂ produced by ethanol distillation and combustion is managed by a small door crusher, or can alternatively be vented directly to space.

An electrolyzer provides the remaining 140-250g/s O₂ for dupes to breathe. Hydrogen is not used, and is sent directly out or crushed/vented.

A small gym is provided for guest enrichment, and to prevent unnecessary "tofu" buildup, iykwim. If they were a little less weird about standing around daydreaming on suit checkpoints, it might have been a rec room in stead.

The other overlays are less interesting, but i'll shove them here in a spoiler for completeness. Automation is pretty straightforward, although mostly inverted so as to use the default "or"-like behaviour of automation wire. A few items have buffer timers to avoid the space taken up by a timer sensor. Shipping and Ventilation are pretty simple, although for gas filtering i did make use of valve-filters to save space.

Spoiler

Electrical:

spicy_tofu_5_electrical.thumb.jpg.94ab3e5110f844917def2e8a15846765.jpg

Automation:

spicy_tofu_5_automation_b.thumb.jpg.474875a70f98f30fc6c0e4b7a1a7031e.jpg

Ventilation, with overflow natural gas and hydrogen output to the right:

spicy_tofu_5_ventilation_b.thumb.jpg.1fc6091c392d6cb9541ab071345828d1.jpg

Shipping, with overflow phosphorite and fertilizer output to the right:

spicy_tofu_5_shipping.thumb.jpg.937c190013252e0cc0a2b063e94b38eb.jpg

Now this all said, this build has one critical flaw. That is that farm stations are bugged to !@#$. As soon as you have more than one farm station on a single asteroid they start to behave strangely and refuse to fertilize things. Farmers will be interrupted when creating micronutrient fertilizer and will stop and stare into space wondering why they were creating fertilizer when there is clearly already some available on the other side of the asteroid where they are incapable of going. They will refuse to fertilize plants even when fertilizer is sitting at their feet and the plant is crying out in plaintive sadness. This varies from mildly detrimental to catastrophic, as these farms absolutely require farm station fertilization. I can only assume that nobody really has ever cared about this, because nobody actually uses farm stations. I certainly didn't, before this.

In any case, if there is only one of these on an asteroid, from my hundreds of cycles of testing they work perfectly.

Great job you've done here. I just wonder why did you choose tofu as a food source, when you could have used ethanol for power and PD for sage hatches. Also if you could plant wild Arbor trees, you could plant wild blossoms and sleet wheat... Although I don't know how about space efficiency and quantities of everything to make it balanced.

Anyway - going for spicy tofu is very original idea. I like what you did, and how accurate your counting is. Thanks for sharing.

I made a minor update to the ventilation to make the oxygen system slightly more robust, and also added sensor settings to the automation overlay (both updated in the OP). It's been running for about 500 cycles now in my dev sandbox, pumping out pretty much exactly 2 spicy tofu per day with zero supervision as i tested other things.

Archived