A small rework of ranged weapons + ideas for new types of mass murder weapons

Can I ask you a question? Sure I can! How often do you use ranged weapons? I do not mean such weapons as Weather Pain, Ice / Fire Staff, but such - to put it mildly - less useful.

It's not hard to see that Don't Starve is dominated by melee weapons, which in my opinion is not a good thing, considering that throughout the game and the various DLCs we have a fairly large selection of missile-firing tools. That's why I wanted to bring up this topic, to somehow balance the balance between melee and ranged weapons.

Of course, I note that this is only my opinion, everyone can comment on this topic in any way (as long as with respect)

Also, getting to the point ...

The first point I want to make is making the worst ranged weapons as useful as the more useful ones. At the very beginning, let's take the "Nap Sack" wallpaper. Everyone knows what it is for and how to get it. To solve its problem, one must first see what it is, and in case it is not difficult - the action is not commensurate with the difficulty of obtaining. Putting enemies to sleep in exchange for defeating the Toadstool? Mmm ... Weak business ... And that is why, in order to make this item any useful, I suggest that you change your enemies from falling asleep to poisoning your enemies. I think a certain number of people will agree with me - the poison in Don't Starve is fun to use, or at least it can be used for a meaningful purpose (slowing down and weakening the enemy / boss is always useful). You could also slightly increase the effect of Nap Sack. These changes would surely make this item more prominent than the Shroom Skin multiplication.

Then we have "Sleep Darts" ... And what should I do with them ... Unfortunately, they have competition in the form of Pane Flute, which completely wiped these darts out of business. On the one hand, put to sleep 1 target with 1 to 5 arrows (depending on the size of the target), and on the other, put it to sleep all around with the possibility of taking even 1 day. That is why I decided to solve the problem of darts in this way - not sleepy darts, only paralyzing. What does it mean? As it is now, to achieve the dart effect we need to spend correspondingly more for a larger creature (I guess it is obvious that a buffalo will not be affected as quickly as a small rabbit) BUT !!!

Primo - the arrow would have the time it takes to activate its effect, regardless of the size of the target. Let's say the effect would activate after 30 seconds. for a buffalo like this, 5 for a rabbit and 60 for a boss (this is an example scale).

Secundo - these would now be paralyzing darts, meaning they would have the advantage over the Pane Flute that when we start attacking the target it won't wake up right away because the target will be paralyzed. The awakening time would depend on the number of darts used and the size of the paralyzed creature. Some people may now say: (read in a most annoying voice) "BuT AlThOuGh IcE StAfF dOeD ThE SaMe bUt ChEaPeR!!1!!1!" Yes ... Ice Staff does the same and cheaper, and I don't know about you, but it happened to me that the opponent at night was thawing earlier than I expected, because I had to build a fire, and besides, I think that I can be sure that one the dart will paralyze the enemy (even after a long time) and the certainty that he will not wake up immediately after attacking him is quite a good option.

The last thing I wanted to talk about about balance - "Fire Dart". No on-hit damage, but sets enemy on fire. This is probably the biggest problem for me ... I hope that one day they will come up with an idea ...

Time for the second part of what I wanted to talk about. I mean specifically new types of ranged weapons in DST. At the beginning I want to say that it will not be anything original, because it will be 2 already known weapons and one new one.

First of all - Spear gun. In fact, I would have left this weapon unchanged except for the revised crafting recipe. Maybe a few planks and ropes? After all, the ammunition in the form of a spear would be sufficient to balance this weapon.

Second - Blunderbuss. Crafting is also practically the same 2 boards, 1 gears and instead of money maybe a stone (2 or 4 pieces)? However, I would change its operation a bit - Blunderbuss (aka. I am a shotgun with ammunition everywhere) would require 1 gunpowder for use and pellet ammunition to be made from stones. As the Blunderbuss is a type of shotgun, it would have a certain shot spread and would have a much shorter firing range than other ranged weapons, but the pellet itself would travel further than the distance it is fired at and could hit multiple enemies at once. Of course, the closer to the enemy, the greater the DMG. Each shot would require 1 gunpowder and 3 pellets, and you would have to reload the weapon with that amount of resources for each shot. Blunderbuss shot would be created at the Science Maschine from 4 pieces of stone, and the Blunderbuss itself at the Alchemy Engine.

Third (and the last one in this post) - Musket. The bills are also a weapon,  which would require gunpowder and ammunition, however, in different proportions and would use different ammunition. A musket would require loading 2 gunpowder and 1 bullet into the musket to operate. A special feature of the musket would be the ability to absorb more gunpowder for more DMG, but at the cost of risking the weapon exploding in the player's hands. With 2 units, the chance of an explosion would be 0% and it would increase by 10% for each additional gunpowder, while the DMG would increase by 15% for each gunpowder item. The musket would have a greater attack range than other ranged weapons, and to craft it you would need to stand by the Alchemy Engine and have 2 planks, 2 gears and 4 flints.

And that's it ... I hope these are quite good ideas.

17 minutes ago, Ludovicus said:

Spear gun in DST would be nice.

I've always wondered why sleep and fire darts do no damage. That's one of the reasons i've never felt like using them, i believe they should do some.

sleeping dart shouldnt because the player might use them to move mobs into pens. I used back in the early days to pen koalaphants since i wanted to do a zoo (and have emergency food...). Fire dart could use a buff, i used them when i was so unexperience to even kill deerclops so i crafted them to deal safe damage from distance and keep my self warm while fighting that abomination

Archived