Insulated tiles made of Insulation are no longer perfect insulation?

Hello all,

In fact I am in sandbox mode to test the correct design, and what I found is that my insulated tiles made of insulation are heating up liquid oxygen. Has it change recently? I do not recall any heat exchange between insulated tiles made of insulation and insulated pipes made of insulation. But it looks like it is not the case anymore?
Thanks!

It has always been this way. "Abyssalite based insulation" is great but not the end-all for certain applications... These tiles will have to lose temperature in order to avoid that kind of behavior.

I could recommend lining the surfaces that will come into contact with your liquid oxygen with either lead or gold metal tile and then protecting the tiles with the insulated tile if not working in a vacuum. At that point you can easily use ceramic, mafic, etc. because the conductivity from tile to tile is rather poor. Do mind the choice of materials regarding the environment they'll work in.

Another way is to use tempshift plates to stabilize the areas with liquid but without coming into direct contact with the insulated tiles.

Hope this helps.

14 minutes ago, JRup said:

It has always been this way. "Abyssalite based insulation" is great but not the end-all for certain applications... These tiles will have to lose temperature in order to avoid that kind of behavior.

I could recommend lining the surfaces that will come into contact with your liquid oxygen with either lead or gold metal tile and then protecting the tiles with the insulated tile if not working in a vacuum. At that point you can easily use ceramic, mafic, etc. because the conductivity from tile to tile is rather poor. Do mind the choice of materials regarding the environment they'll work in.

Another way is to use tempshift plates to stabilize the areas with liquid but without coming into direct contact with the insulated tiles.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Yes, I know how to store liquid oxygen or hydrogen - usually in metal tiles and vacuum. So far I was using insulated tiles made of insulation for steam turbines, the barrier between steam chamber. And they always remains at the temperature of built. That's why I was surprised that in sandbox I was observing something like flaking mechanism. BTW. not all insulated tiles cooled down, only 4 or 5 out of 8. Only those where flaking occurred.
Thanks again.

TC.

To be clear Insulation Insulated tiles will never exchange heat conventionally with anything via thermal conductivity mechanism, it is impossible because temperatures are quantized by the nature of 32 bit floating point numbers, the temperature difference can't be high enough (without crashing the game) to make a large enough temperature change in one tick to jump to the next temperature value (using mathematics it can be calculated that the temperature delta required to make a room temperature insulation insulated tile change temperature, would be about 11 million C).

But since various kinds of flaking mechanisms completely ignore thermal conductivity, the only thing standing between an insulation insulated tile exchanging heat in these manners, is the high specific heat capacity: which is 5x higher than normal materials meaning the conditions required are more extreme than for normal materials but it can still happen.

Everything exchange heat except neutronium, solid to solid it could be zero heat exchange, but with gasses to solids there will always be some heat exchange doesn't matter what's the material and what's thermal heat conductivity... I would recommend making liquid oxygen in solo spacefarer module, to have perfect insulation.

Archived