Auto-pause issues

I'm late to the addition of "auto-pause". I absolutely love the feature. One of the biggest "quality of life" features they've ever introduced to the game. But one thing I noticed when playing with auto-pause on is that when you craft a non-placeable item you have to manually deselect the crafting menu before it crafts that item. This isn't the case with placeable items, like campfires, the process is automatic. Deselecting the menu in order to craft feels awkward and slow, especially if you're crafting multiple of a single item. It's also inconsistent, as it only applies to non-placeables. A similar issue I've noticed with auto-pause comes when interacting with items in your inventory, such as fueling a miner hat with light bulbs.  When you hit triangle to add the fuel, you have to manually deselect the menu before it adds the fuel to the hat. There's also no visual cue that you've done this until you deselect the menu. I think when you take these actions, it should automatically deselect the menus and therefore unpause the game. I also believe this is the way it worked in single player Don't Starve (don't quote me on that though).

I could see how this could be an issue or rather complicated, code-wise. If that's the case, a (presumably) simple option would be allowing us to customize auto-pause options. For example, in settings you could have auto-pause on when you bring up the main menu, or when you bring up the map, but don't have auto-pause on when you open the crafting or inventory menu's. Thanks Klei for the features, and thanks for possibly considering these ideas. I can't wait to jump back into Winter's Feast again!

Archived