Couple of questions (spoilers)

Does the temporal tear opener actually work right now? If so, is it possible to use and have the tear actually open? Right now it shows as obstructed for me and the tear shows as closed. I left the structure mostly intact and thus didn't remove the window tiles above it or the lead metal tiles around it. Wasn't sure if that's why it was showing as the LOS being obstructed. It also has something that looks like a closed rad port. I was guessing since it's not release they have this locked so I didn't tinker with it too much. Figure someone out there probably has already and knows for sure before I invest a bunch of time on the infrastructure to generate the radbolts (that I expect to be a large amount) to utilize it in a reasonable time frame.

As a side question, I'm curious what people have done with the frozen planetoid. I tend to automate each planetoid and this one wasn't any different, however besides 4 iron volcanos there weren't any sources of power or heat to utilize. To get the necessary power I built a printing pod, shipped over a bunch of saturn critter trap seeds and used the pod on wild pips until they planted a bunch of them and were mercilessly consumed. This generated enough hydrogen to power 3 radbolt generators with a wheezewort setup that could keep my automated shipping going. The consume time takes ~120ish cycles wild, then the amount of time they sit waiting to be harvested. I've used the pod to dump other wild critters there to restock and it looks like it's generating enough hydrogen to serve as a backup during the downtime where they won't be producing any. An alternative would be throwing down a reactor or mass shipping consumable power resources (lumber, coal, petro, etc.) and while I could do that this seemed more suited with the cold climate where other resources won't really grow that also still allows me to eliminate the need for active dupes there.

Last time I used the iron volcanos to generate power to have 1000 radbolts for tear opener. You have to keep the sky are clear and remove the ruin windows. I don't have permanent base here and use rocket to get refined iron. After try run the temporal tear, I never go back to the asteroid. (Already have enough steel and move to niobium/tungsten/thermium for buildings.)

Spoiler

Temporal Tear spoiler. Use with caution. There are small changes after my video.

Spoiler

I finally answered my own question today. Here are some details on the mechanics for those of us who are obsessive planners.

Spoiler

Seriously, spoilers. Don't click if you don't want to know.

Spoiler

The temporal tear opener can only be charged or used when it is exposed to the sky. The building thinks it is 5 tiles wide even though it only appears to be 3, and all 5 need to have a clear view of the sky. Ladders, wires, and automation buildings aren't considered obstructions, but a closed bunker door is. So are window tiles no matter what they're made of (including the Diamond ones it comes with), so you'll need to have that area open to space.

You do not have to have any dupes present when you trigger the tear, so you can blast them off to safety ahead of time. You can also shield everything else in your base with bunker tiles/doors as long as you leave that 5-tile width exposed.

Once the opener is charged the side screen will show a button that says Fire! When you click it, you'll get a confirmation dialog asking if you're ready for a meteor shower.

When you trigger the device, it will shoot a beam at the sky, and immediately trigger a meteor shower. Your bunker doors need to already be closed before you do this! After I triggered it I also tried to close the bunkers over the opener, but they were too slow and some meteors got through. However the damage was not too severe.

The meteors contain Fullerene, so you'll get a few more kg of that.

The meteor shower seems to be a single event, and then it stops. NOPE. The meteor showers are periodic. But still survivable! Which means if you adequately shield your base it should be a survivable event, and/or you can return dupes to it afterwards and continue using the base and those Iron Volcanoes. In my case regolith covered the bunker doors over the landing pad but I should be able to drop a Trailblazer lander, get it cleaned off, and get back in business.

Flying a rocket to the Tear is a separate event. When your rocket goes into the hex with the Tear, the side screen includes a prompt to enter it. This triggers the victory animation. The rocket then appears on the hex as a wreckage.

Archived