Custom Character Perks regardiing ranged weapons

So uhh, I made this thing based on Wanda's perk, Is this good before I test this out?

local function CustomCombatDamage(inst, target, weapon, multiplier)
	if weapon ~= nil and weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon" or "thrown" or "projectile") then
	inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.5

end

4 hours ago, LeTrying said:

So uhh, I made this thing based on Wanda's perk, Is this good before I test this out?

if weapon ~= nil and weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon" or "thrown" or "projectile") then
	inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.5

end

Unfortunately it won't check those tags like you're wanting it to, LUA will detect the 'or' statements and return back the first string only before HasTag is called.

weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon") or weapon:HasTag("thrown") or weapon:HasTag("projectile")

And it looks like you've left off an 'end' there to close your if-then statement.

• Like 1

No Good.
Always ends with the game closing. I wish there was like a log once the game closes telling you what happened
Here's what i have

if weapon ~= nil and weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon") or weapon:HasTag("thrown") or weapon:HasTag("projectile") then
		return 1.5
	else
		return 1
	end
end

I feel like its missing something for it to work, but i have no idea what it is

@LeTrying

Good news!  There is a log file to look over, you can find it by following the helper guides at:

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029881191-Logs-and-Useful-Information-for-Bug-Reports-for-Don-t-Starve-Together

If you're trying to host the game without caverns on, then the client_log.txt will contain the stack trace.  Otherwise it will be in one of the server_log.txt files located in the subdirectory: ~/klei/DoNotStarveTogether/###/Cluster_#/Master/server_log.txt

If this stack trace doesn't lead you to anywhere, then please don't hesitate to reply back with more of the code in the file being ran.  Sometimes the error can be a syntax related thing above it, or some weird handling of a function below.

• Like 1

I feel embaressed, the error isn't from the code (maybe not yet) but its from the speech file.

Whoops.

Gonna check to see if things change once that is fixed

Also,

local function CustomCombatDamage(weapon, multiplier)
	if weapon ~= nil and weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon") or weapon:HasTag("thrown") or weapon:HasTag("projectile") then
		return TUNING.SKULLCAT_DAMAGE_RANGED
	else
		return TUNING.SKULLCAT_DAMAGE_NORMAL
	end

return 1
end

Here's the code now

@CarlZalph
So uh, i finally fixed issues that caused the crashes, but now the important one.
So once I shot down a target with an item that has one of the tags (a normal blowdart) the game crashed.

[00:05:20]: [string "scripts/components/combat.lua"]:740: attempt to perform arithmetic on a function value
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
    scripts/components/combat.lua:740 in (method) CalcDamage (Lua) <699-747>
    scripts/components/combat.lua:917 in (method) DoAttack (Lua) <859-946>
    scripts/components/projectile.lua:217 in (method) Hit (Lua) <197-224>
    scripts/components/projectile.lua:291 in (upvalue) DoUpdate (Lua) <263-330>
    scripts/components/projectile.lua:358 in (method) OnUpdate (Lua) <332-359>
    scripts/update.lua:256 in () ? (Lua) <218-292>

Here is the error message

@LeTrying

Are you setting the damage modifier like:

<Player entity>.components.combat.damagemultiplier = CustomCombatDamage

If you are, then this isn't going to do it unfortunately, the damagemultiplier variable is expected to be a number.  You'd have to invoke the function call:

<Player entity>.components.combat.damagemultiplier = CustomCombatDamage(<weapon entity>)

From where you update this will also be important, though I think the easier route for your character to do more damage for ranged items is to modify the ranged item's damage when it's equipped by your character prefab, then decrease it back when it's no longer on.  You'd be able to do this by dynamically hooking the weapon entity's weapon component's GetDamage return value to be multiplied by your character's constant if it's ranged whenever it is equipped.  Then unhook the GetDamage function when it's unequipped.

• Like 1

@CarlZalph
So uh, i changed the component to

inst.components.combat.customdamagemultfn = CustomCombatDamage

It works now, not crashing the game when dealing damage, but it doesn't increase damage (most likely need to redo the conditions again)
This is also the component that Wanda uses to increase her Shadow Weapons Damage

Also, whats a good target to test the damage on, without attacking you back?

okay, so attacking without the weapon crashes the game, actually, i should check if beefalo attackwould crash it as well

For the no weapon Attack

[00:24:45]: [workshop-2189004162 (Insight)]:    A crash has occured.    
[00:24:45]: [workshop-2189004162 (Insight)]:    Title:    WARNING!    
[00:24:45]: [workshop-2189004162 (Insight)]:    Text:    [string "../mods/Skullcat/scripts/prefabs/skullcat.l..."]:54: attempt to index local 'weapon' (a nil value)
    ../mods/Skullcat/scripts/prefabs/skullcat.lua:54 in (field) customdamagemultfn (Lua) <53-61>
    scripts/components/combat.lua:745 in (method) CalcDamage (Lua) <699-747>
    scripts/actions.lua:1225 in (field) fn (Lua) <1208-1227>
    scripts/bufferedaction.lua:25 in (method) Do (Lua) <21-35>
    scripts/entityscript.lua:1415 in (method) PerformBufferedAction (Lua) <1402-1425>
    scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua:7164 in (field) fn (Lua) <7157-7167>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:576 in (method) UpdateState (Lua) <544-588>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:615 in (method) Update (Lua) <607-635>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:128 in (method) Update (Lua) <109-146>
    scripts/update.lua:282 in () ? (Lua) <218-292>

For the Beefalo Attack

[00:13:03]: [string "../mods/Skullcat/scripts/prefabs/skullcat.l..."]:54: attempt to index local 'weapon' (a nil value)
    ../mods/Skullcat/scripts/prefabs/skullcat.lua:54 in (field) customdamagemultfn (Lua) <53-61>
    scripts/components/combat.lua:745 in (method) CalcDamage (Lua) <699-747>
    scripts/actions.lua:1225 in (field) fn (Lua) <1208-1227>
    scripts/bufferedaction.lua:25 in (method) Do (Lua) <21-35>
    scripts/entityscript.lua:1415 in (method) PerformBufferedAction (Lua) <1402-1425>
    scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua:7164 in (field) fn (Lua) <7157-7167>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:576 in (method) UpdateState (Lua) <544-588>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:615 in (method) Update (Lua) <607-635>
    scripts/stategraph.lua:128 in (method) Update (Lua) <109-146>
    scripts/update.lua:282 in () ? (Lua) <218-292>

Same, but still so long as im not using a weapon it gets a crash

@LeTrying

In the combat component's customdamagemultfn, the 'weapon' argument can be nil.

So in the callback function check to see if weapon isn't nil first before using it.  If it's nil, then it's definitely not ranged.

Also be sure your order of operations are as you expect them to be in your oneliner.  Use parenthesis liberally to force logic how you want it to be.

if weapon ~= nil and (weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon") or weapon:HasTag("thrown") or weapon:HasTag("projectile")) then

Without the parenthesis the compiler will invoke it like you meant it as:

if (weapon ~= nil and weapon:HasTag("rangedweapon")) or (weapon:HasTag("thrown")) or (weapon:HasTag("projectile")) then

So since the first part is false when you have no weapon equipped, it tries to evaluate the second part which won't be runtime good since weapon is nil and it's trying to use it like an object table.

• Like 1

The Parenthesis don't work, so I decided to shorten it to only read projectiles,

if weapon ~= nil and weapon:HasTag("projectile") then
			return 1.5
		else
			return 1
		end
		return 1
end

I decided to only read projectiles, and its enough to make it work while not causing a crash.

I probably should have did it like this instead.