Special Events

Ah yes of course the start of any event is going to happen alongside a game update.  I had forgotten that.  So the mod that restarts my server when an update is available is already going to activate the special event.

Thanks for your help.

Ahh, and I see Settings.last_world_specialevent and Settings.current_world_specialevent in GLOBAL.  I assume I'll be able to use those to check if a new event has begun whenever the server restarts.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

I gave it a try and thought I may as well post my finding here in case it's useful to someone else in the future.

By the time AddGamePostInit gets called in modmain.lua GLOBAL.Settings.last_world_specialevent and GLOBAL.Settings.current_world_specialevent are always equal.

Instead I used GLOBAL.WORLD_SPECIAL_EVENT.

AddGamePostInit(function()
    if not GLOBAL.TheWorld and GLOBAL.TheWorld.ismastershard then return end
    if GLOBAL.WORLD_SPECIAL_EVENT ~= GLOBAL.Settings.current_world_specialevent then
        if GLOBAL.WORLD_SPECIAL_EVENT == "none" then
            for k,v in pairs(GLOBAL.SPECIAL_EVENTS) do
                if v == GLOBAL.Settings.last_world_specialevent then
                    print(GLOBAL.STRINGS.UI.SANDBOXMENU.SPECIAL_EVENTS[k] .. " has ended.")
                    break
                end
            end
        else
            for k,v in pairs(GLOBAL.SPECIAL_EVENTS) do
                if v == GLOBAL.WORLD_SPECIAL_EVENT then
                    print(GLOBAL.STRINGS.UI.SANDBOXMENU.SPECIAL_EVENTS[k] .. " has begun.")
                    break
                end
            end
        end
    end
end)

In the actual code instead of printing event info it sends it to a Discord channel, and this way it only sends it when an event starts or stops, instead of each time the server is restarted.

Archived