Add a bola weapon

With the removal of hitstun we're seeing just how reliant many fights were on this mechanic.  Wanda's whip (and previous whip strats) highlighted how powerful stunlock can be and I don't think removal is a bad way to go.  But this means many fights feel awkward, leaning too heavily in the mobs favor to simply shrug off damage and step back.

So I think adding a new item that is a bit more easily accessible to all survivors can fill this gap as a good way to go forward.

A bola could allow us to root an enemy in place so they can't escape us, and can have a different measure of effect based on the strength of the enemy and mundane / magic nature of the bola.  Have a timer for when the enemy can escape the bolas but let hits either reset or add time, so if you continually attack an enemy it will stay bound up longer.

The bola could be a manual aim weapon, letting players kite out and around a monster to get a clear shot and feel satisfying when landed properly.

The difference between this and an ice staff is the ice staff is point and click, so very easy to apply.  The ice staff stops attacks and movement, while this would only stop movement.  Also obviously the ice effect wears off once the user is hit where the bolas would reward engaging the enemy with further root duration.

Anyway - just a thought on what could be a good forward step after this last patch.

Wouldn’t work on bosses, they’re too big- and Tooth traps should ensnare- there’s no need to add a new weapon when they can just make the one we already have serve the same function.

(I would use this to catch those dumb fleeing No-Eyed Deer)

Manually aiming and hitting something with a Bola would probably be as annoying as throwing Water Balloons (which I literally see NO ONE on Xbox ever do..) 

But traps you can plant on the ground… and lure them to for snaring.. Yes please!

Archived