Jump to content

Gas compression door setups


Recommended Posts

Are there any losses of gas with these setups?  I've observed a couple of instances where the gas on the low end sometimes shoots up to amounts that should be impossible in a sealed geyser room.  My guess is that maybe some gas briefly flows back from the high pressure side during game loading.  If this is true could this also result in deletion of gas as the doors all load in simultaneously closed?  I'm not sure if doors on automation load that way though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kermack said:

Are there any losses of gas with these setups?

You might need to be more specific as to which setups you mean. In general closing doors (and thus door pumps) can delete gasses if you're not careful. Basically, if the gas occupying the door's tile has nowhere to go to when the door closes it will be deleted (if you're intentionally deleting gas this way it's called a "door crusher")

6 hours ago, Kermack said:

I've observed a couple of instances where the gas on the low end sometimes shoots up to amounts that should be impossible in a sealed geyser room.  My guess is that maybe some gas briefly flows back from the high pressure side during game loading.  If this is true could this also result in deletion of gas as the doors all load in simultaneously closed?  I'm not sure if doors on automation load that way though.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but doors load in either a fully closed or fully closed state, even if they were in motion when the game was saved.  It will depend on the specific setup, but I could see this sometimes allowing anomalous backflow on load.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think there is loss. The thing is that at high gas-pressure, the flow mechanisms in ONI cannot keep up to equalize pressure. Hence you need to stop the game and count pressure in each tile to get the real volume in there. Tiles next to each other may deviate quite a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm using the simplest 3 door setup.  Timer sensor, two buffers and a filter gate.  The timing is buffer 5, buffer 10, filter 5 and the timer is 5 green and 15 red.  I'm almost 100% confident the sequence doesn't destroy gas.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

You might need to be more specific as to which setups you mean. In general closing doors (and thus door pumps) can delete gasses if you're not careful. Basically, if the gas occupying the door's tile has nowhere to go to when the door closes it will be deleted (if you're intentionally deleting gas this way it's called a "door crusher")

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but doors load in either a fully closed or fully closed state, even if they were in motion when the game was saved.  It will depend on the specific setup, but I could see this sometimes allowing anomalous backflow on load.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, Kermack said:

If this is true could this also result in deletion of gas as the doors all load in simultaneously closed?  I'm not sure if doors on automation load that way though.

 

4 hours ago, Kermack said:

I'm using the simplest 3 door setup.  Timer sensor, two buffers and a filter gate.  The timing is buffer 5, buffer 10, filter 5 and the timer is 5 green and 15 red.  I'm almost 100% confident the sequence doesn't destroy gas.

Yeah, that should be pretty solid during regular play.  I'm not sure what the glitches on save load will look like. I believe the way it works is that doors load in whatever state they were when they were saved, even if they were in the process of closing/opening.  Doors don't actually change state until the end of the animation.  This effectively causes any doors that were moving while the game saved to close/open late.  This could conceivably cause backflow or gas deletion.  I'd suggest testing a save-load at various points in the timer cycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...