AI performance problem workaround

The AI problem is older than Spaced Out and hasn't been addressed properly. What seems to have been a quick hack to get the worst lag out, has seemingly turned into "OK, this is working, we don't need to fix it". It causes a lot of problems with critters, rovers and even dupes later on.

While I'd much prefer a proper solution to the problem, I understand that it might not be easy given ONI architecture.

So here's a simple workaround to problems by earlier workaround:

Allow us to set AI "refresh rate" manually, in "game ticks", rather than having to rely on real-time-based one calculated on the fly. Dupes could use some multiplier or a separate setting.

18 hours ago, Slavon Blue said:

Pretend I'm unfamiliar with the 'AI problem' and explain what it is like I'm five please. Then maybe more folks can contribute to coming up with solutions :D

I think that even if you would explain it on a very basic level, the average folk without a background in programing/developement would not have the expertiese to give proper suggestions...

7 hours ago, celest-kn said:

I think that even if you would explain it on a very basic level, the average folk without a background in programing/developement would not have the expertiese to give proper suggestions...

Huh, didn't expect to encounter such a condescending response. You may be surprised how opening the conversation to a broad audiance can lead to novel solutions obvious to different perspectives.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:29 PM, Slavon Blue said:

Pretend I'm unfamiliar with the 'AI problem' and explain what it is like I'm five please.

When the game slows down, critters start "thinking" in real time, not game time. And the more the game slows down, the more real time it takes per critter to think.

In a big colony, a critter may take as much as 10 real time seconds to notice a rancher at the station or to decide to eat. At high game speed, this leads to slicksters becoming "starving" while sitting in high pressure CO2, ranchers wasting lots of time, critters wandering into deep water and drowning to death before they notice they are drowning.

Archived