I think it would be interesting if we could have something for late game where duplicants can go into magma to work. It would sort of be a late game tech to give a more up front way to deal with large heat sources. The main point would be for working in the magma core and the magma planet. It would be made from Tungsten, Insulation, and diamond. I was debating if it should use petrol for fuel but I would rather it not have the CO2 exhaust if working with magma. So the other option would be charging it at the suit station with radbolts. The suit would increase a duplicants strength and digging power by 10 or higher the devs want. It would have a fixed movement speed unaffected by athletics. Maybe it could have a reduced building and digging range to just within 1 space of the duplicant as a limit to keep it from just being used everywhere.
Edit: To expand on the 1 tile building and digging space maybe one hand is a drill and the other is a large robot claw or hand.

There is a better idea for use of a Mech suit found here (at least in my opinion):

Duplicants being able to sit in magma without worry especially if you make use of these suits before digging into magma would take away massive challenge from the game as there would be no risk of duplicants scalding to death. Atmo suits are good enough to let your duplicants go in without getting scalded up to almost 1000C as is and I think it's balanced. Meanwhile we could use something that can help transport huge amounts of materials while making builds as building is the one most important yet slow aspect of the game even if you have multiple builders.

10 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

There is a better idea for use of a Mech suit found here (at least in my opinion):

Their design is for general use, mine is trying to focus on a specific use so I disagree.

Their idea is a power suit to basically just enhance a duplicant with no drawback. My idea is more a vehicle with a fully enclosed environment. These two aren't really the same thing to compare honestly.

10 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Duplicants being able to sit in magma without worry especially if you make use of these suits before digging into magma would take away massive challenge from the game as there would be no risk of duplicants scalding to death. Atmo suits are good enough to let your duplicants go in without getting scalded up to almost 1000C as is and I think it's balanced. Meanwhile we could use something that can help transport huge amounts of materials while making builds as building is the one most important yet slow aspect of the game even if you have multiple builders.

Technology advancement allows for overcoming challenges the more advanced the technology and the more powerful resources it gives you access to. So this complaint makes no sense. The atmo suit overcomes all the challenges of the game except magma, yet your not complaining anywhere that atmo suits take away the challenge of dealing with heat and no oxygen? With there being a magma planetoid I'd like them to make more use of it besides just one volcano, but also almost every aspect of this game has multiple approaches. There is the low tech approach that uses the players skill and sometimes game exploits to overcome them. Sometimes you can use the safer approach that uses more resources and is simpler but it just takes longer.
Say for example the oil biome. You don't actually need an atmo suit to conquer it, but most people prefer to use them. If you want to rush it without suits you can just open it up and dump a bunch of cool water on it then you have a warm biome instead of scalding one. This approach is no different. You can either use the suit that requires a bunch of power, radbolts, rare resources, slows your dupe down, and limits their reach. OR you can use the strategy you used before this tech.

Archived