Improved Rocket supplying

The new rocket capsules still seem like a chore, requiring more attention than they should. A few suggestions to make life easier.

• Rocket fittings should be treated like pipe bridges, being placed behind other buildings. The capsules are already small enough without having to waste extra tiles on the fitting.
  • Rockets should be able to connect to ground power, so they can recharge their batteries, or keep utilities running while there is no power from the engines. This would make energy management simpler, or even allow fully battery operated crafts.
  • The fittings right now require tanks to operate, and intermingle with the cargo system. This makes it a pain to sort out, and the loaders/unloaders take up an enormous amount of space if you need multiples of them. They also all need to be connected in a line, restricting possible designs for a rocket silo. Instead, at least the pipe fittings should be able to work directly with the loaders, no tank required if all you want to do is refill the air and get rid of the CO2.
  • Even better would be to include a small bit of storage on the capsule itself, and a life support module offering more storage, that is dedicated to just the fittings inside the capsule, and has its own gas/fluid/solid ports. This would keep the two systems separate, since life support and cargo are generally kept separate. Forcing everything through the same system just forces an unnecessary amount of filtering.

I think of the fittings more like vents, which don't go behind other buildings, so I think they're fine on that front. I really hate the loader/unloader system being for basic life support stuff, it's just such a hassle.

Hmm, I would really like ports to keep separate from the cargo system, but maybe without storage. Basically just a way to connect inside and outside (exterior's input connects to interior's output and such). Solo Spacefarer could just get gas piping ports, while the proper Spacefarer could get all three.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, Nebbie said:

Hmm, I would really like ports to keep separate from the cargo system, but maybe without storage. Basically just a way to connect inside and outside (exterior's input connects to interior's output and such). Solo Spacefarer could just get gas piping ports, while the proper Spacefarer could get all three.

A dedicated life support storage module would take care of this. Some storage is needed, as dupes use up 60kg of oxygen per day, or 30 tiles if you pressurize the cabin to 2kg.

9 hours ago, Whitecold said:

A dedicated life support storage module would take care of this. Some storage is needed, as dupes use up 60kg of oxygen per day, or 30 tiles if you pressurize the cabin to 2kg.

It would help tremendously, but it would still be annoying to not be able to from day 1 pipe oxygen into a rocket's interior and pipe waste gases out. We really should not need to interact with dedicated storage to just get something in or out.

Archived