An offset copper volcano tamer

What is this? Not friday?

I'm doing a mini celebration of sorts because the forum notifications I received today included some interesting news. (I shall say only that.)

To provide a nice diversion from the regularly scheduled "complicated" I present an overcomplication of a build. This should hopefully prove offensive enough for some detractors of vertical liquid locks and pipe capacity naysayers :grin:

Justification: Regolith had to drop from the top of the map and building a monolithic copper volcano tamer might be boring. Liquid pipe in the center will be for magma, since we already have that gap...

Liquid copper from eruptions is cooled in following stages:

• Frozen to debris by liquid pipe cooling*.
  • Further cooling by AT/ST combo. (Temperatures for shipping sensors are 450ºC, 108ºC, 37ºC in order of cooling)

* Ceramic pipes filled with super coolant at 1000 g/s.

To further the fun, not a single Thermo-sensor is used. I built what I called the Dupe-Thermo-Probe™ (or DTP™ for short) which is basically filling a bridge with 50g/s packets. Any gas should do as mass is low enough to give accurate real-time readings of any given space filled with a tile (metal, window, mineral...). This has the advantage of providing a more accurate temperature, per the gas thermo sensor's range. It can also be exchanged with a liquid setup if that tickles your fancy (low mass is key!). A minor inconvenience is that it will "wobble" at first because there are two packets to read from but it's fairly temporary.

Final thoughts:

• Can it be done without super-coolant/insulation?: Definitely, do mind some pipe & shipping rail locations.
  • Can it be done without using 1kg/s liquid?: Most likely, hydrogen or steam filled gas pipes are usual alternatives.
  • Can it be done without liquid vertical locks?: Most likely, but ... (Not going there, that old can 'o worms has been dumped on that dead horse enough times already.)
  • Bug averted: odd behavior for shipping rail packets under 20kg (This build was designed before bug was fixed in DLC, though. I haven't confirmed fix is in vanilla where this is built.) This means the last packet is discarded after the top conveyor loader finishes shipping...
  • Another oddity is averted (still in testing): intermediate cooler functions as water super heater to dump in steam chamber (plate is at least 107ºC). Steam should probably not Houdini on me.
  • ToDo: Connect setup to main power grid via some flipper arrangement.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Full build:

590298194_Coppercoolerfull.thumb.png.13d3552cfbb9fd9d8a83d600f0e0cea7.png

Gas piping, pardon the remnants by the AT...

642857498_CoppercoolerGP.thumb.png.3d07217f4f8f33da2cca485fa00e6029.png

Plumbing:

146001637_CoppercoolerLP.thumb.png.b7ab0b27a2dc5c0c449e7343dc903ee4.png

Shipping:

41505465_CoppercoolerSP.thumb.png.c43c2d7fcb3b2f6ed300d8e12b6e703f.png

Automation:

723746136_CoppercoolerAutomation.thumb.png.c3347bf42d0aedc7d891ea0295e499ec.png

Power:

2139391190_Coppercoolerpower.thumb.png.45214ed58c1b69321183d38e5bff0ca1.png

Mineral:

2092796662_CoppercoolerMineral.thumb.png.8c5dfd6084f710e54410ebb855e44025.png

2 hours ago, JRup said:

Bug averted: odd behavior for shipping rail packets under 20kg (This build was designed before bug was fixed in DLC, though. I haven't confirmed fix is in vanilla where this is built.) This means the last packet is discarded after the top conveyor loader finishes shipping...

I have an assumption about that.. but I don't really know how to confirm it (and I'm also unwilling to flip-flop between DLC and base game constantly... [I decided to stay in DLC])

Spoiler

Judging only from timing of things: Ninja update, updated a not easily seen bug that is bugging in rare occasions :rolleyes:

Other than that... sorry.. I have no idea what you are doing in your build :lol:

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I'm also unwilling to flip-flop between DLC and base game constantly...

I have been hammering my head against this map in vanilla since before the DLC dropped and it's almost mission complete, I sometimes dabble in the DLC to test some things now and then but there's a lot of things on the vanilla map that "need building"...

My best guess is that using both versions of the game will be easier as flipping the switch once the codebases merge.

7 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Other than that... sorry.. I have no idea what you are doing in your build :lol:

I kinda assume it tames a copper volcano and then cools the copper to a manageable 37ºC-ish. It shouldn't take forever because only 20Kg packets of copper are cooled. So far it's doing great. ;-)

Gap in between is because regolith will be provided by an automatic dispenser on top of the map and I'd already dug up and vacuumed the map and was too lazy to just build more shipping doodads to go around and make the volcano tamer in a single piece. So now I have a 100% vertical drop for regolith from the space biome to the oil biome - there is some unwanted neutronium that doesn't let me get to the magma biome, but I call it a win fwiw.

There's a need to use an extra element sensor/automation before the shutoffs because they will consume 10w even if the line is empty. I'm still on the fence as to whether this is a bug - all other buildings that are enabled by automation do not consume their power share if there is no material to process, so technically an empty pipe/rail...

I could post savefiles with the build on vanilla/dlc if anybody's interested...

On the subject of ninja updates, I'm kinda torn... On the one hand, no notes leaves us guessing; on the other, some minimal amount of notes may not be worth it... Then there's the ninjas among ninjas, those smoke bombs tho:

image.png.3bf758a3d8cff8a099ad1f849977d2bb.png

I'm totally for notes that explain what's going on and bugfixes are noteworthy 110% of the time. It also shows love for the item that's being fixed...

On 5/26/2021 at 1:44 AM, sakura_sk said:

I have an assumption about that.. but I don't really know how to confirm it (and I'm also unwilling to flip-flop between DLC and base game constantly... [I decided to stay in DLC])

I can confirm that shipping packets below 20kg still behave oddly in vanilla. So the fix is DLC-only for now.

Pictured: a line used to melt ice in another build, same save file. All all items have molten except for "caboose". Last item shipped is evidently not 20kg and stubbornly reaches the end of the line at bottom...

780712826_Partialpacket464364.thumb.png.bcd07fadc407aad0b7d4ded5dfe3eebb.png

22 hours ago, JRup said:

I can confirm that shipping packets below 20kg still behave oddly in vanilla. So the fix is DLC-only for now.

Pictured: a line used to melt ice in another build, same save file. All all items have molten except for "caboose". Last item shipped is evidently not 20kg and stubbornly reaches the end of the line at bottom...

780712826_Partialpacket464364.thumb.png.bcd07fadc407aad0b7d4ded5dfe3eebb.png

From what I know of this, the last packet from a loader calculates heat transfer using the mass of all the packets combined, which generally means much slower transfer. This applies to the last packet, which means the mass isn't relevant, just a coincidence. 

@Hjoyn:
This issue is supposed to be fixed in DLC so builds in vanilla will still have the "problem/exploit"

Spoiler

See splitting ores point in patch notes for 463787

IMO: Building around this is fairly simple at the moment. We either dump the offending shipment and forget about it as in the ice melting track that's pictured or we accumulate the material to be shipped and then recycle the last loaded basket after "double shipping" thus prioritizing stable production.

The weight plate on the copper volcano shipping section is set to 20.1 kg and triggers the auto sweeper for 6 seconds.

Archived