For a few games now I have been granted some larva eggs early game which I am not ready to use. I put them in a storage container for many days and then I load a game and they are gone. At first I thought they are hatching and dying in a high oxygen atmosphere but I don't see any meat or remains laying around. Nor eggshells. What am I missing as they are an important creature for cheap carbon removal/oil production.

eggs placed in storage lose "viability" over time. When that hits 0, the egg dies. You can check it by selecting the egg. For slickster eggs early game if you drop them in a warm (40°C or more) biome they should at least survive. You can breed cute longhairs until you're ready to create a suitably hot habitat for oil production.

Even when put in containers they should drop eggshells eventually, i`m not sure where did those go. But as said aboe keeping eggs in storage causes them to break after a while. Make sure to drop them on the ground after delivering to their destination.

Also keep in mind that slicksters require pretty high temperature. If the hatch in a 20 C base they might die due to low temperature.

Archived