Seeds only dropping from fertilised plants

I have never used a Fertiliser Synthesizer as I have never had the need to use it in the game. There is a way to make it pretty much necessary in the long run while eliminating another problem. If only fertilised plants produced extra seeds in place of just growing faster, then there would be incentive to use them for seed production, whether you want to or just feed fish another way (they should really consume 1 seed per cycle so we don't end up with 2/3 of a seed existing), may be having another way to multiply dirt and getting extra natural gas from consuming phosphorus and polluted water, both of which can be very plentiful. Also mass composting would be a great addition along with being able to select seeds to compost at the piles themselves at all times, or something along the lines. Perhaps you could even fertilise a wheezewort to get extra seeds from it after a dozen or so cycles as well as extra cooling potential.

I made the machine a few times just for the natural gas so i can use the gas range. In the dlc it`s also useful for rocket oxydizer. I`m not sure if i like seeds only dropping when plants are fertilized. You want extra seeds early and you don`t get to fertilize stuff before you get a lvl 2 farmer, tier 3 tech and a proper room. On hard settings your dupes might starve before you get all that done. Not to mention mealwood can`t get fertilized for whatever reason.

But i`m not against a higher chance for a seed from fertilized plants (on top of what we have currently). Would help kickstart farms in the midgame and feeding fishes.

Number of seeds dropped at first could be slightly higher, or the calories dropped from muckroot could also be higher. It also gives more incentive to cook and eat mush bars and mush fries until you can have more seeds, or have varied sources of food, which is also a good thing. Having higher chance to drop seeds will still have no incentive to make them for me. Either they are the source for seeds or they will be a piece of tech never to be really used much. You also get some fertiliser in the sandstone biome if I remember correctly, so you would have some to start out, and if you wanted more, you would need to make the fertiliser synthesizer, especially if you are going to feed the seeds to pacus. But yes, this would require a skill level 2 farmer, which seems fair.

Archived