Ship power through the teleporter ports!

This system uses one of your ports on the teleporter to ship heat from the oil planetoid to your starting planetoid, or vice-versa. 

Here we're generating power from solar panels and storing it in a battery block. Waste heat from the batteries is recovered. 

image.thumb.png.0e05df538bf4d7ee2cc14e9bc0487db2.png

Here I've got the power from the solar panels generating heat with a tepidizer - aquatuner combo. 

image.thumb.png.f0951ef92bfb9e46d0d5a19f929bc1ea.png

Finally the heat goes into a pipe, the pipe packets go through the teleporter and the heat is extracted to generate power on the other side. The cooled heat packets get sent back through to cycle in a closed loop.

image.thumb.png.fba7323b13bd5e8a8b6fde7de05ecf50.png

I'm using nuclear waste as a heat medium, and precautions must be taken to prevent spilling nuclear waste. It won't spill out of the teleporter so long as it stays flowing, and it won't spill out of the ATs so long as it doesn't go in while the AT is off. You have to add a Liquid Shutoff right before the AT to accomplish this. 

The whole system is somewhere around 67 - 73% efficient at steady state. ATs are inherently lossy and you'll get even less power efficiency out if you use water in them instead of nuclear waste or supercoolant. I was using nuclear waste. The heater is essentially a giant battery, which means your base won't black out if something breaks and you loose power, the heater will just slowly get colder. Since the heater and the turbines are remote from one another any cataclysmic event on the heater side won't be immediately felt. If you want to use conveyor rails to move the heat through the teleporter you'll need to vacuum them out to prevent heat loss. With clever packet filtering you can inject normal one-way traffic through the teleporter port and then filter the water/petrol/oil/whatever out of the packet stream on the other side. This lets you get the benefit of some power recuperation without loosing the functionality of that port on the teleporter completely.

It gets you a lot of additional free power on the starting planetoid, equivalent to about 85 extra linear solar tiles. If your thermal transfer packets have extra capacity you can add other generators on top of the solar. To move the full solar power volume I had to heat the nuclear waste from 128 C to 180 C, leaving another 140 degrees of room until the steel overheat cap, or 340 degrees of room until the vaporization cap of nuclear waste. If you use diamond rails to move the heat those numbers will be different. Diamond has a lower heat capacity but a higher conductivity and packet size, so you'll hit the steel overheat cap earlier but there essentially is no issue of phase change so if you can use thermium ATs then diamond rails should be able to hold more heat I think.

image.png.f7c7d1bb14f8336b473503bb6977526a.png

image.thumb.png.137a4db3a976e91367ae9b1d4989aa02.png

image.png.94e12242622e05fdd9cc32e126737053.png

image.png.311f2f92648e9004726a5b0abff5d746.png

I think this is how save sharing works right

The Acidic Planet.sav

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Nice. I like the concept of shipping power as heat.

Now do it with the payload launcher. So you can power all your outposts from a furnace on the home asteroid ;-)

that takes dupe labor. No.

Archived