Magic light sources (A new pseudoscience item + Willow synergy)

I'd like more light sources in the game, specifically, magic ones. The recipes would hopefully include wires and gears because I have way too many after countless ruins raids (gems are abundant too, I only need so many sun caller staffs a year). The appearance would be a sort of steampunk torch aesthetic powered by gems. I think they could also give Willow an indirect buff to give her more fire related abilities. The following are examples.

RED GEM TORCH "Fire abides no master": Trees that give coal and items that give ash are instantly burned. Does not burn structures or other plants, and does not spread (The fire burns only what it wants to burn). 10 uses. Provides no light.

Willow: Has a small chance to get an extra ash and always gets 1 extra coal form trees. Quote: "Where have you been all my life"

BLUE GEM TORCH "The flame of an aurora borealis": Provides a speed buff the closer it is to winter. 10% in Summer, 15% autumn, 25% in Winter, 15% in spring. Freezes mobs that attack the player, but not in summer, consuming 25% of the torches life span. Double normal torch life in spring, autumn and winter. Half a torches life span in summer and cools the player. Cannot set things on fire. Normal light radius. 

Willow: 25% speed increase year around. When it freezes a mob it may accidentally freeze Willow Quote: "You need to point it north"

GREEN GEM TORCH "Calls back the flame": Burned structures are reverted to pre-burned state. 5 uses. Showing cracks on every use. "Recalling" back a flame to the torch refuels it 20%. Its consumed when used 5 times but not when it reaches 0. Normal torch life span and light radius.

Willow: 20% Chance that recalling a flame will not consume a use. Quote: "Might need this fire later"

YELLOW GEM TORCH "Contains divine photons": Bright enough to light the whole screen. Slowly creates a circle around the players protecting them from Nightmares and shadow splumonkeys (they will flee) provided the player is not moving. If another character walks over the circle "line" it will shatter and need time to reform. If a player moves while the circle is in effect it will shatter and will not reform until the character stops moving. Normal torch burn rate.

Willow: Can move while the circle is forming and in effect. "No shadow will quench this flame"

ORANGE GEM TORCH "A good flame takes time": All things set on fire on screen will burn indefinitely and cause no harm/spread/provide warmth, until the torch is put away. Leaving this torch out in the sun will allow it to recharge at 1% a minute. Light provided is a small cone shape leaving a huge blind spot. Normal torch burn rate.

Willow: In Willow's hands it will deplete 2x slower. Quote:"Great, a lazy fire"

PURPLE GEM TORCH "Burns the magic within": Setting things on fire does not burn the object but still provides Warmth. Cannot be extinguished by a fling-o-matic. Enemies that are burned do not leave behind ash if they die. Does not spread. Normal torch life span and light radius.

Willow: Deals more damage to mobs. Quote: "I always wanted to burn a soul"

Let me know what you think.

I really like these concepts but I have my doubts for the Blue Gem Torch, you can get better results with a Miner Hat and a Walking Cane.

Maybe having an aura that makes nearby agressive mobs to slow down and if they hit you they freeze (bosses would need more than a hit to be frozen).

1 hour ago, Just-guy said:

I really like these concepts but I have my doubts for the Blue Gem Torch, you can get better results with a Miner Hat and a Walking Cane.

Maybe having an aura that makes nearby agressive mobs to slow down and if they hit you they freeze (bosses would need more than a hit to be frozen).

That sounds good too. I mostly came up with this idea because I don't use a miners hat. My inventory tends to contain 2 lanterns in case I need to abandon one during battle. The head slot is usually occupied by a tam/eyebrella/pig helmet. Theres no space in my inventory... Maybe If I up the speed value? Or have it cool down the player in summer so it has more versatility?

Edit: I added that it freezes mobs that attack the player and upped the speed increases.

Archived