Restoring World from Session Info?

Hi there. If this is not the correct place, please help and point toward the right spot.

I'm running a dedicated server setup. Yesterday i needed to rollback the server (using the tab menu ingame). Then things started to get wild. The server couldn't connect to Klei, time outs for the server and the clients and the world never came back. Restarting the server brought me into a new world on day 1. Trying to rollback now brings me only back to this new world on day 1, obviously. I can see in the logs that at some point the server decided to regenerate the world *sigh*. The only thing i have left is session data from before the original attempted rollback (Master/save/session and Client/save/session).

Any chance to get the 'old' world back?

No mods or other shenanigans on server.

Once the Server decided to regenerate the map, the old one got deleted entirely. Unless you go for advanced file recovery tools, which can recover (most) deleted files.

In the future, if it's an issue for you to lose your map I'd recommend to either run an Endless server, which never regenerates by themselves, or do regular backups of your save.

hah! that was the right path.

i 'rolled' back the directory to a previous 'state' (thanks, time machine) and the world was back. only lost a few days.

thanks for replying.

You can also rename the old session file the exact same as the current one and replace the current one and it will load the old session.  Though normally on server reset all the old session data gets deleted.

Archived