Shadow Pieces Despawning

So I recently attempted the strategy where you fight shadow pieces by spawning 30 knights and igniting them with gunpowder while on a boat. Unfortunately when I used my oar to go over and ignite the last piece of gunpowder, I got too close to another piece of land and the shadow pieces ran away from where I had them thus I could not use the gunpowder and had to bail.

A day later we went looking for all of the shadow knights to bring them back to where we had them. We looked about everywhere where we thought they could be and could not find them. So my question is: Can shadow pieces despawn? Secondly, if the answer is no, and they are still sitting somewhere in my world, can they regenerate health where I would need more than the gunpowder I would have used in the original fight?

I have been SUPER paranoid about where these things are because level 3 shadow knights are no joke. And we spawned 30 of them that could possibly be roaming about... I feel we will just come up on them one day and our 600+ day world will be gone.

Any help on the questions is much appreciated!

Archived