Regolith Crusher & Mover

A few months back, Pluvious Diggler had a space-wall rig that destroys all the solid regolith AND moves the debris (iron and occasional "pre-crushed" regolith to a couple of drop points for easy collection.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFbexNWDnEM

He references a reddit where he explains the automation, but I can't locate the page.

I am very interested in the idea, but don't understand the sequencing logic, or indeed, how doors can be used to move debris.

Anyone willing to talk me through this? It'd be much appreciated!

-- GeePaw

Here's a screenshot from the video, have you tried duplicating it?

Clipboard02.jpg.ed64b1507e8f471ebf2ef30f938c3d54.jpg

Spoiler

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.99f9eafb415dda27217b7288c9a34469.jpg

The wire touching the bunker doors is controlled by your space scanner system. For now use a switch to represent this.

The left chunk of filters/NOTs/XORs are being used to delay the right side from working until the bunkers have been closed for ~40 seconds, and then lets the automation run for probably only 20 seconds after or so.

You don't need the left part to understand the right part, so just start off by duplicating the right part. Replace the left part with a switch.

The right part is mostly a bunch of filters to send a sequence of off signals at like t=0s, t=2s, t=4s, t=6s, then open all at once.

The main spine is using ribbon readers/writers to send the above 4 channels through a ribbon.

Doors can move whatever debris is inside of them whenever they close. Normally, horizontal doors would push debris above it, but because the bunker doors are blocking this location, they choose the sides instead. Close them in sequence and they will keep pushing.

Try it a little bit and let us know where you get stuck.

Okay. In today's episode of "Pimp My Automation", we have the space wall as I've currently got it set up.

1088348490_spcautomation.thumb.png.36d53421c7b4f47b668f94ffec9dabad.png

Notes:

1) Shouts out to @Nakomaru for the gentle nudge towards learning to fish rather than just taking someone's fish. This took me several hours to put together, and I had a pleasant & frustrating time in doing it.

2) This is operationally correct, but I seriously doubt that it's optimized, and I welcome any clues folks might have to give.

3) The mission: when the scanner says open/close the bunkers, wait about 40 seconds, then run two cycles of door moving/crushing, with starting and ending state being doors open.

4) The bottom row of automation is an edge-detector (rising & falling both) that delays for 41 seconds then sends a 50 second green to the next row up. The buffer & filter to the right are set at 41. The fillter on the left is set to 40, and the buffer on the left is set to 50.

5) The next row up is a 25-second oscillator. The filter is set to 25 seconds. Since the input is high for 50 seconds, each detected edge results in two door crusher/mover cycles.

6) The topmost set of four is the door crusher/mover. The bottom-most filter is 5 seconds, next up 10, next up 15, next up 20. The nots are because we start open and want to close, and when there's no signal entering this area they stay open.

7) The ribbon writers are, from top to bottom, bits 1, 2, 3, and 4. The readers connected to the doors are 1, 2, 3 and 4, with some optimizations.

8) None of the switches serve any operational purpose, I just had to test a lot. :)

9) I have detected an issue, not, I think, with the automation, but possibly so: 

1486966810_spccrusherdebris.thumb.png.4d31c069bc4fcb49b3f1467843279524.png

See the debris in the open doors? When the bunkers are closed, and we run the two mover cycles, Those two specific pieces of debris don't move. I have zero clues as to why, but as far as I can make out all the other debris *does* move. Any ideas?

9) I started with just the original video and Nakomaru's hints. The door closing automation was fairly easy. I changed from the original, which had two filters in serial, which as far as I can make out is the same as one filter with the sum of the times. I built the original circuit's left part and played around for a long time trying to figure out the correct settings for its filters, and I never did get that figured: I still have no clue what that part of the circuit should output, and had to make my own version from scratch. The hardest part for me by far was figuring out how to simply delay passing on the edge detection from the scanner for the 40 seconds it takes the bunkers to open or close. That's probably the part where y'all will be most amused at my foolishness.

Anyway, that was pretty fun. Please do ask questions or make suggestions! And do let me know if that lingering debris is meaningful to you.

-- GeePaw

Looks like you found some nice simplifications compared to the original too. Very cool. I haven't rebuilt either, but it seems like the original was trying to do the same thing as you but only on a falling edge.

10 hours ago, GeePaw said:

See the debris in the open doors? When the bunkers are closed, and we run the two mover cycles, Those two specific pieces of debris don't move. I have zero clues as to why, but as far as I can make out all the other debris *does* move. Any ideas?

Is it possible that these appear after the bunker doors have been reopened? My first guess is that after the regolith falls down, some debris lands buried inside the bunker door level, which then traps it inside the bunker doors when they close.

Archived