Auto-reload worn suit/mask ports & bed/table assignments

Hey - been playing on the development build.  I like, and am frustrated by, the decay on the suits.  First, the likes - it gives a resource cost to maintain your equipment.  Not too unreasonable, especially for those who like a "messy" base concept where dupes spend all of their waking hours suited up.  Your dupes are working in super heated, super cooled, space-exposed environments so the suit decaying over time is not an unreasonable pay off.

The thing that's driving me nuts is that you have to manually toggle on to request a suit be docked, so once your mask/suit decays, you have to manually queue up a new one or else Meep never gets that building project done because there's no mask/suit available for him to exit the base from.  The shipping/reloading of masks has what may be a bug? in that dupes - or autosweepers - will sometimes take a mask from another locker and feed it to the one you requested, thus making you request a delivery to fill that one.

Some thoughts - some kind of pairing/registering/assignment of mask docks to where Meep is assigned to say dock 1 so his mask always goes there, and if his mask wears out, the dock knows it's no longer available to Meep and can then auto request a new mask to replace it.  Thus you can have new masks in storage and set up autosweepers to fill.  Maybe an automation port to where a player can set up a timer or other condition in which if green signal, request delivery of mask if otherwise empty.

My other feedback I wanted to give was that the bed/table assignments are frustrating in a multi-asteroid setup.  We like to have our own beds to sleep in, but, maybe make a lower quality cot, like a flat, outdoors, old-school tent cot that gives less morale when you sleep in it because it's available to anyone?  After all, what dupe wants to be on second shift when the dupe on first shift who just used that cot has the Flatulent trait?  Similar a lower quality table anyone can use but gives less morale bonus for using.  Or, maybe just simplify and when a dupe is no longer on that planet, any beds/tables/etc assigned to that dupe just unassign automatically.  And then a dupe arriving on another world would seek out an available bed instead of just falling asleep in the food carbon/storage pit and getting sore back.

One of the beauties of this game, in my view, is fine tuning it to where the game/colony is self-sustaining without need for my constant input.  These 2 particular changes require me to manually input commands to manually reload a mask/suit, manually unassign beds, etc.  Beyond that, I'm very much enjoying this new content, and I look forward to seeing how the DLC continues to develop and shape.  You're doing great work, and I appreciate you taking the time to read my feedback!

21 hours ago, TheYukihoshi said:

The thing that's driving me nuts is that you have to manually toggle on to request a suit be docked, so once your mask/suit decays, you have to manually queue up a new one 

I'd like to see something change with this as well.  The Crafting Table allows you to repair the Worm Masks.  They should then placed back to a Dock that was assigned for Deliver Suit.  If we set a Dock for Deliver Suit perhaps it should stay with that setting until it is set to Undock Suit.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, TheYukihoshi said:

My other feedback I wanted to give was that the bed/table assignments are frustrating in a multi-asteroid setup.  We like to have our own beds to sleep in, but, maybe make a lower quality cot, like a flat, outdoors, old-school tent cot that gives less morale when you sleep in it because it's available to anyone?  After all, what dupe wants to be on second shift when the dupe on first shift who just used that cot has the Flatulent trait?  Similar a lower quality table anyone can use but gives less morale bonus for using.  Or, maybe just simplify and when a dupe is no longer on that planet, any beds/tables/etc assigned to that dupe just unassign automatically.  And then a dupe arriving on another world would seek out an available bed instead of just falling asleep in the food carbon/storage pit and getting sore back.

I'd love something as simple as beds/tables following the same current assignment rules and options as bath facilities.

- default to public

- usage does not force assign

- manual assign is available and makes it exclusive

We don't have the same issues with bathroom facilities because they already work this way. Maybe with beds just make having an assigned (or assigned comfy) give you a +1 moral bonus for knowing you can't be double bunked.

In addition to the convenience and making it work like other shared items, double/triple/shift bunking just fits space exploration.

The further suggestions would be nice.

Actually, to fully automate the worn atmo suit reloading is quite simple, there's no need for any pairing.

First, fix the bug where dudes are robbing other atmo suit docks to deliver suits

Second, make it so that when an atmo suit dock is requesting a suit, it is treated as "docked" by the checkpoint, i.e. dupes passing by the checkpoint do not dock their suit in a dock requesting a suit.

Third, when an atmo suit is worn, it needs to do the following. First it should be docked into an atmo suit dock following the standard logic. Then, it performs the worn check, if the suit is worn, it then undocks itself from the atmo suit dock AND automatically requests a delivery to the dock it was dropped from.

From what I can tell, it looks like the suits "save" the last dock it was placed into. This is unnecessary and I think my idea would be a more elegant implementation (fewer references the atmo suit object needs to store and integrates into existing logic).

Archived