Take water, and note how many mixtures we already have mainly made up of liquid water:

• water
  • polluted water
  • salt water
  • brine
  • mud
  • polluted mud
  • slime

when i was thinking about material conserving recycling loops (here) i found it difficult to follow an element though a processing chain since it's not clear what polluted water is exactly made of and in most cases this makes ONI resource processing a lot more complicated and weird then it is in reality.

Anyhow, on a different observation i noticed that ONI has already a system that could maybe simplify quite a few things: germs! Yes, every material tile or lose entity has a germ property. Hence i was thinking what if the same system could be used to make material mixtures?

1. Mixtures is a general material property, just like germs are. It acts quite the same to germs, except that instead of a germ like "food poisoning" there is a material like "algae" and it's amount is given in mass. For example a water 1000kg water tile with a mixture of 60kg salt (instead of having a separate salt water material). But of course unlike germs materials in a mixture don't multiply on their own, nor do they die off.
  2. Just like germs stay on fluids and gases in pipes, so would mixtures.
  3. Materials in a mixture can slowly spread to other tiles, e.g. when a water tile with salt in it is surrounded by clear water tiles, some of the salt may spread there. 
  4. For each material there are limits how much other materials it can contain in mixtures. For example water could contain a maximum of 30% salt (brine) and a max of 10% algae (p water?). Other materials may not allow certain material to mix with them (old never mixing with water?)
  5. Gases could have high mixture limits for other gases and could mix naturally just when two different gas tiles are next to each other.
  6. A tile with a gas mixture could change it's base material, when another gas in the mixture has more mass than the base material. 
  7. Gas tile dynamics: well, we wouldn't have single CO2 gas tiles wandering in a O2 atmosphere. Instead gas mixtures would slowly interact with each other equalizing the mixture ratios over time. So probably CO2 would thus take longer to accumulate at the bottom of a colony.
  8. In some gases elements of a mixture may impact core properties of the base material, like salt in water drops its freezing point. This would happen only at certain threshold levels. e.g. water gets the properties of salt water when there is more then 5% salt in it and with more then 20% it takes the properties of brine. Those thresholds also change the visuals of the tile.

Sure, that would require some changes to the game, for example for the sieve and desalinator. In general some additional processes may be needed to separate mixtures. On the other hand in some cases irrigation could also bring along the fertilizer in a mixture. In general it means that transporting solids dissolve in liquids through pipes would pose a new interesting option.

On 12/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, johnisfine said:

Hello. Right now, 38 grams of liquid next to 1 block way can create vacuum or separate gases in two rooms. This is kind of overpowered. And same 38 grams of liquid can occupy whole cubic meter and push 2 kilos of gas.
I think it would be good to allow gases and liquids occupy same cubic meter (block). For example, there is 40 grams of water and 960 grams of oxygen, water occupies 4% of block at the bottom and oxygen occupies 96% of block at the top. Or, there is 240 grams of hydrogen and 760 grams of oxygen, hydrogen occupies 24% of block at the top and oxygen occupies 76% of block at the bottom, according to difference in density.
I know, this would be hard, but this could solve not only some op liquid locks but other frustrations too.

This suggestion here could potentially fix this issue.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, Sasza22 said:

It`s mostly a sideeffectof how the game engine works. Allowing multiple elements in one tile would double the amount of calculations in the best case scenario. There are just so many systems build on top of the "one element per tile" rule.

So keep it 1 material per tile - what i suggest would keep it that way (since there is only one base material) yet other materials are just passively contained through the mixture. Already now there are lose objects that can also occupy the same tile, however they are allowed to have a lot more interactions with the environment than what materials contained in a mixture would. So if this would be well implemented it could potentially even improve performance.  

On 1/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, he77789 said:

The problem is that we don't really have any other viable early/mid game airlock designs; actual airlocks made by doors either delete gas, or require lots of automation and time to let a dupe pass.

I absolutely agree. We need a proper airlock building. There is a mod that adds that but i think as much as liquid locks are used there is no discussion that this is a very much needed device. Therefore it should have been added to the game a long time ago. Though any change to old liquid locks machanics would be annoying to existing colonies in vanilla, this doesn't apply for the DLC.

The idea is cool and all but the core game is very binary in how materials work. By making salt as a gradient we would require waterweed to demand the amount of salt in water to be within in a certain threshold. It`s not exactly bad but it would require a whole subsystem to keep the amount of salt in the water just right.

It definitely improves realism but adds another complexity level on top of we already have.

Archived